Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Ajax vs IE plugin

Hi,

What is the difference between using Ajax and IE Plugin? As per my knowledge, we need to install IE Plugin but what is the advantage of using it?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

As far as the network configuration is concerned, there may be a big difference: AJAX always communicates to a Web Server (either QVWS or IIS). Plugin acepts qvp:// pseudo URLs, so the communication is done directly between the QVS and the Client. This method is considerably faster, but requires ports 4747 and 4774 opened in both client and server both inbound and outbound.

When port 4747 is not accesible by the Plugin client, the server falls back to HTTP tunneling (port 80). This will degrade performance, because security packets are transferred and the network traffic and the use of bandwidth increases. Communication in this case is always between Client and WebServer on one side and WebServer and Server on the other.

I'd say that the biggest advantage of AJAX client is that it doesn't require any installation on the client's side, but it may require some design tuning.

It's up to you to choose one option or the other, avoiding tunneling when possible. In short, Plugin requires software installation client side, but rendering is WYSIWYG. AJAX doesn't need any installation other than a browser, but it may lack some design options.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
rahulgupta
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hey hi,

More of the Solution to your query can be solved in the discussion done in the below link......

http://community.qlik.com/forums/t/33896.aspx#136911

Hope this works...!!

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

As far as the network configuration is concerned, there may be a big difference: AJAX always communicates to a Web Server (either QVWS or IIS). Plugin acepts qvp:// pseudo URLs, so the communication is done directly between the QVS and the Client. This method is considerably faster, but requires ports 4747 and 4774 opened in both client and server both inbound and outbound.

When port 4747 is not accesible by the Plugin client, the server falls back to HTTP tunneling (port 80). This will degrade performance, because security packets are transferred and the network traffic and the use of bandwidth increases. Communication in this case is always between Client and WebServer on one side and WebServer and Server on the other.

I'd say that the biggest advantage of AJAX client is that it doesn't require any installation on the client's side, but it may require some design tuning.

It's up to you to choose one option or the other, avoiding tunneling when possible. In short, Plugin requires software installation client side, but rendering is WYSIWYG. AJAX doesn't need any installation other than a browser, but it may lack some design options.

Hope that helps.

Not applicable
Author

That's really helpful 😉

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Miguel - This is very useful! Thank you very much 🙂

Cheers!

Not applicable
Author

Myself, I prefer IE plugin .. because of the WYSIWYG

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Totally agreed. Even we use IE plugin and explain the same to end user. But only draw back is that we need to stick to IE and can't use other browsers 😞

Cheers!

Not applicable
Author

you are right! nothing is perfect 😞 and nowadays lots of ppl start using safari, firefox.. sigh 😞

then the best solution is AJAX 😞 happy redesign then~ olala

Not applicable
Author

hi miquel,

"requires ports 4747 and 4774 opened in both client and server both inbound and outbound."

can you tell me how to open port 4747 and 4774 in server?

thanks before.

Regards,

Heri