cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Allow Dynamic CAL Assignment

Good Day,

I just want to know

For example I have 5 Named User CAL and 6 Users, I enabled Allow Dynamic CAL Assignment so that I will not automatically assign the CALs then Users 1 to 5 consumed all the the 5 CALs, my question is if User 5 logged out will the CAL that he used will be freed automatically so that user 6 can log-in or I have to manually remove user 5 from using that certain CAL so that user 6 can log-in??

and can anyone explain this to me: * The CAL can be formally deleted (either by restart or manually) after the given time. specifically the restart part..

thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

The assignment will last, at least, 24 hours. In your example, if User 5 logs off, User 6 won't be able to log in until, 24 hours past, you delete the license and assign it to User 6. (Then User 5 won't be able to log in again).

"Allow dynamic" means that, instead of manually add any user to a license, you allow any user that logs into the system to get a license from the server. For small number of licenses, it's not usually a good idea, and assigning them manually doesn't take too long. However, when you have several dozens of licenses, you usually let the users access the system, get their licenses dynamically, otherwise it will take a lot of time to identify them and add them to their documents. Again, it depends on how you manage your systems.

No license will be deleted nor unassigned from any user, unless you do it manually. You have to allow 24 hours quarantine period between you want to delete an assignment and you actually delete it. For example, User 5 has a license and is no longer going to use it, so you cannot assign it again to another user until 24 hours later.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi

Yes you have to manually delete the CAL because there is no other option.

And also there is one more condition , that if the CAL is removed manually it takes 24hrs to completly remove .

Not applicable
Author

another question how to set up a Document CAL for a certain User Group?

thanks!

Not applicable
Author

I also read somewhere here in the community that a Named User CAL(the one who is logged on) will keep that CAL for 30days.

Is this true and is it (CAL) automatically be freed if the 30days expired.

Not applicable
Author

Up

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

The assignment will last, at least, 24 hours. In your example, if User 5 logs off, User 6 won't be able to log in until, 24 hours past, you delete the license and assign it to User 6. (Then User 5 won't be able to log in again).

"Allow dynamic" means that, instead of manually add any user to a license, you allow any user that logs into the system to get a license from the server. For small number of licenses, it's not usually a good idea, and assigning them manually doesn't take too long. However, when you have several dozens of licenses, you usually let the users access the system, get their licenses dynamically, otherwise it will take a lot of time to identify them and add them to their documents. Again, it depends on how you manage your systems.

No license will be deleted nor unassigned from any user, unless you do it manually. You have to allow 24 hours quarantine period between you want to delete an assignment and you actually delete it. For example, User 5 has a license and is no longer going to use it, so you cannot assign it again to another user until 24 hours later.

Hope that helps.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

mOngkz wrote:and can anyone explain this to me: * The CAL can be formally deleted (either by restart or manually) after the given time. specifically the restart part..

As mentioned above, when you want to unassign a license, it will take 24 hours since the last use of that license. Say User 5 closes his last session today at 1000. You now mark that assignment to be deleted. That message will appear, and the assignment is not deleted yet. Tomorrow at 1000 you will be able to actually the CAL. If User 5 logs in later today at 1700, he will be able to access any document he was allowed to, and its CAL will not be ready to delete until tomorrow 1700 (24 hours later). It's called "Quarantine period".

Hope that helps

Not applicable
Author

Sir Miguel,

another question about document CAL, is it possible to assign a Document CAL on a certain group consisting of let say 2 users?

or is it like a named user that has a ration of 1:1??

i also read somewhere in the community that the named user cal will remain on a specific user for 30days, what if the 30days expired what will happen to the CAL? will it be automatically free for other users to use??

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

In case of User CALs, one license is always assigned to one user account (no groups). In case of Document CALs, one license is always assigned to one user account and one document (the user will need as many licenses as documents want to open).

Regarding of that 30 days expiration you mentioned before, that's probably related to the licenses leased from servers, which indeed will expire in 30 days if the lease is not renewed, but the assignment is not lost.

Hope this helps

Not applicable
Author

@Sir Miguel,

Thank you very much sir, your answers helped me a lot in understanding Named User CAL and Document CAL.

and thank you also for answering my questions in our conversation, can please answer my other questions in our conversation?? Smile

thanks!