Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any good suggestions how to organize the licenses?

We have 70 User CAL & 70 Document CAL available.

All CAL's are assigned to people, and we have a bunch of people who wants to have access.

First thought was of buying more licenses ... but after a little research we found out that on a daily base (average) 30 individual people are using QlikView, with a peek up to 50 people.

Has anyone got suggestions how to solve this?? How can we organize our licenses in a better way?

Using license lease for the Named CAL's came up to our minds, but somehow it seems not the solution since the person who 'leases' the CAL gets the CAL for 30 days. And as far as I read this won't work through AJAX.

Dynamic assignment also looks not like the solution, since the users should be removed manually after 24 hours of not using QlikView.

Anyone got good suggestions or tips??

thx!!

14 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Sessions CALs are usually the way to go if only a percentage of the total number of potential users access QlikView concurrently. E.g. with 1000 potential users you may have a maximum of 10 users that access QlikView at the same time (50 distinct users per day). In this scenario 10 sessions CALs would do the trick. Session CALs are allocated dynamically and are active for a minimum of 15 minutes, after which the CAL is made available for others to use immediately.

However I see you don't have any Session CALs. The only way of managing Named/Document CAL usage is by using the System Monitor app http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-4307, or the Governance Dashboard QlikView Governance Dashboard, both free, to monitor usage and to reallocate licenses that are not being used.

Failing that I think you need to buy additional licenses.

tresesco
MVP
MVP

There is a Power Tool, you might want to utilize that.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

We're looking for a solution which has (of course) the least of maintenance ...

The PowerTools are not yet used by us (also because we cannot install them on the server ourselves because of privileges ... and also because the .NET version on the server is to old) ... 

Doesn't QlikView itself have a 'right' way of organizing the licenses?

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Power Tool itself is a release by Qliktech. Otherwise, I guess qv doesn't have anything such inbuilt feature of intelligent CAL management.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

QlikView is a great tool, but the management part is not really that well ...

Can't get a good overview of my document CAL's and where their at (do the powertools supply in this??) ... and it's not really clear how to setup the CAL's properly ..

How do others organise their CAL's??

Not applicable
Author

I replied earlier but for some reason my post is still being moderated. I'll try again:

Try managing CAL usage with the QV System Monitor app or Governance dashboard:

System Monitor app http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-4307

Governance Dashboard QlikView Governance Dashboard,

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

For monitoring the users the system monitor and governance dashboard are partly a good tool.

Only thing still missing is an overview of the Document CAL's and where their situated.

In the monitors they will only show up if the user actually used the QV Document CAL.

We build ourselves a monitor which checks a file in which we keep track ourselves of the CAL's and combines this with the session info to see users who never used QV ...

But our issue now is ... how can we dynamically use the CAL's ... we have lots of users which don't really often use QlikView. It would be good if they can use the QV which is 24 hours later released so someone else can use the CAL.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Not applicable
Author

Anita Fuchten wrote:

But our issue now is ... how can we dynamically use the CAL's ...

I fear there is no solution to your problem apart from the Session CAL approach I wrote about above.

There may be a way using the Power Tools but a) this will not be supported by QT and b) you may be breaking the terms of the EULA by doing so.

Why not speak to your QlikTech account manager to see if a sub-set of your Named User and Document CALs can be converted to Session CALs.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Session CAL's are very expensive ...

Session CAL's are about 10.000 euro's ... Named CAL's 1.000 euro's, Document CAL's 265 euro's

If we want to have about 30 users at a time in the system we need 30 Session CAL's ... don't think we'll ever get this through the business here.

Has anyone got idea's about how many Session CAL's you need in which situation?