Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Assign Document CALs via AD Security Group

Hello,

We currently have our QlikView deployment structured such that Document CAL's can not be dynamically leased, as we wanted a better handle on who was using the product.  This means, we have explicitly assigned a Document CAL to each user.  Currently, the users all have no problems accessing the documents, and the counts as far as CALs owned, assigned, etc all make sense.

Earlier today, I created an AD Security Group, and I tried to remove the individual users and add the AD group, however when I had a user try to access the document they were told they didn't have a Document CAL.

How can I set up access through an AD group??  I have to imagine this is possible.

Thanks!

Chris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Chis,

From experience, the best way to go about this is restrict document access to those who are members of the AD group and leave the allocation of document cals as dynamic.

Only individuals with the right permissions will get to see/access the document.

Example implementation

a) NTFS security

set access permissions on the document to be visible only to the AD group and on the licences tab, assign required number of document cals to the appropriate document - leave the dynamic allocation checkbox ticked

b) DMS security

on the Authorisation tab, choose named users and enter the appropriate AD group, and on the licences tab, assign required number of document cals to the appropriate document - leave the dynamic allocation checkbox ticked

Once set up properly, the authorisation components of Qlikview security will prevent individuals who are not part of the AD group from accessing the document.

Regards,

Alex.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Chris,

I have this same problem, did you ever get it resolved?

Thanks,

Rich.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

You can give users rights to a document through AD groups, but you can't assign CALs to an AD group. CALs are assigned on an user level.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

OK thanks Bill.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Chis,

From experience, the best way to go about this is restrict document access to those who are members of the AD group and leave the allocation of document cals as dynamic.

Only individuals with the right permissions will get to see/access the document.

Example implementation

a) NTFS security

set access permissions on the document to be visible only to the AD group and on the licences tab, assign required number of document cals to the appropriate document - leave the dynamic allocation checkbox ticked

b) DMS security

on the Authorisation tab, choose named users and enter the appropriate AD group, and on the licences tab, assign required number of document cals to the appropriate document - leave the dynamic allocation checkbox ticked

Once set up properly, the authorisation components of Qlikview security will prevent individuals who are not part of the AD group from accessing the document.

Regards,

Alex.