Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Auto install IE plugin

Hi again

Can I set the system up so that if a user clicks a link to a qlikview report and don't have the IE plugin installed they automatically get the option to do so from the server?

Thanks

26 Replies
Not applicable
Author

See the 'Qlikview Server Control Panel' options under the 'ASP' tab.

Regards,

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

Where am I looking, there's no ASP tab on the Server management console and I can't see anything in Qlikview? Thanks.

Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

There is a little trick. We deliver an opendoc_fix.htm since the option has been removed in 8. So if you rename your opendoc.htm to something like opendoc_noplugin.htm and the opendoc_fix.htm to opendoc.htm and it will prompt users to install plugin if they do not have it installed. This file is located in C:\Program Files\QlikView\Server\QvClients\QvPlugin folder.

/Karl

jasonseril
Creator
Creator

Hello Karl,

I tried this little trick but to no avail, it won't work. In the opendoc_fix.htm file there's some instruction to uncomment a line which contains "CLSID and CODEBASE". I changed the version number of the plugin to the current version in the folder, should I also change the CLSID of that particular plugin file? If so, how should I know and change the CLSID of that file.

Thanks in advance and more power!

Jason

Not applicable
Author

the CLSID change with each major version change (it means plugin v8.* have all the same clsid and that it is different from v9.* plugin clsid)

a quick and easy way to find the clsid is to go to the registry, go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID" key, and search for the string "QlikOCX.ocx". You'll go to a registry key named something like "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{????????-????-????-????-????????????}\InprocServer32". The {????????-????-????-????-????????????} part is the clsid of the plugin.

Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

I'm sorry I never got back to you on this one. Did jgeorge's explaination help? If not let me know.

/Karl

jasonseril
Creator
Creator

Thanks jgeorge for the information.

Ok, dont worry karl, i'm testing it right now. i will just post here what's the result. thanks again.

jason

jasonseril
Creator
Creator

hello karl, i tried again all the instructions in your post, bust still the same, it didn;t worked. I changed the CLSID corresponding to the qvpluginsetup.exe and accessed qvw files at the AP, please check the image below for the result.

accordingly it should automatically install the ie plugin in the users when the qvw is clicked. maybe i missed something else in configuring. thanks in advance.

regards,

jason

Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

Actually, my explanation only works in v8. I don't think we have a mechanism to auto install in v9. I will figure it out. Previously, in 8, it used the opendoc.htm to open the qvw's but now in 9 we want everything going through the AccessPoint. The AccessPoint uses the AccessPoint.aspx to open the doc's but there really doesn't seem to be any place in here to shove the autoinstall code. I will see what I can dig up and get back to you.

/Karl