Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Automated process to place files in Qlikview Shared Folder?

Hi,

I have a requirement. Client is getting files from mails from 3rd parties and they would be placing the files in QV shared folder on daily basis. Kindly let me know what are different ways we can make it automated so that there is no manual intervention.

8 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

You could create a application that will run and check to see if there are files in the folder. They will have to figure a way to get the files from email to the folder.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Send the emails-with-attachments to a special email address that operates some custom code to extract attachments and place them in a specific folder.

Now for the tricky part: at the moment the world still has lots of different mail server types in use, new, old and very old. What mail server software are you going to use for automatic attachment extraction?

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Thanks for your replies !!!

Would like to know various possibilities based on Qlikview best practice whether possible but on this front I am not sure to confirm. So,Would like to check with you all like ok, this is the way we can do automation

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

AFAIK QlikView offers no best practices for this kind of data preparation. Maybe someone else has already created an automated process to transfer/extract data files from containers.

If not, it's up to you to create a solution that fits your environment. I would be interested to hear what you solution looks like in the end.

Good luck,

Peter

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The problem is related to your mail system and you may be better served Googling your question or finding a discussion forum for your mail system. Ask there how to automatically extract attachments and drop them somewhere for Qlikview to pick up.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

May be I need to rephrase my question !!

So, Once the files are placed in a accessed QV shared path, we can setup in qlikview to pick the files automatically and also we can schedule the timings to pick the files from the QV shared folder..Right?

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Well you would need to poll for the files to see when they arrive. You could use a file-watcher component (google to find one) to detect the file and trigger a batch job/publisher task, or you could simply trigger the batch job/publisher task periodically (say once per hour) to process any file(s) that arrive(s).

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Thanks for your reply !!!

Will try to analyze with the above methods and update here the results