Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Best Practice regarding Session timeouts

Hello!

We are a new company using QV. About 20 users and only one application/document.

Today we have set our timeouts to 30 min and our users are complaining too short.

I have tried to find guidelines on best practice around how to set this limit. My best find is to use the "Possible session timeout" value.

Any thoughts on using/not using this value instead of Maximum from a performance perspective?

I would like to set this value to 60 min and (which if I understood correctly QV will end session if needed but if not needed the value of max time out will take precedence) max to 120 min.`

Thanks for your insights,

Erik N

4 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Erik,

I guess my question is why are you trying to limit the session time?  The possible session timeout is only for session CALs and does effect User CALs.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Good question!

I think that currently we use the default setting of 30 min and our users are complaining. They get disconnected to soon they think between phone calls etc.

I always assumed that inactive sessions somehow affected performance of the server by consuming memory or similar.

So I am just trying to find a recommended approach without setting the max inactive to 600 minutes or something 😉

Thanks,

Erik

Not applicable
Author

Erik Nordström (to Erik Nordström) 47 minutes ago

Good question!

I think that currently we use the default setting of 30 min and our users are complaining. They get disconnected to soon they think between phone calls etc.

I always assumed that inactive sessions somehow affected performance of the server by consuming memory or similar.

So I am just trying to find a recommended approach without setting the max inactive to 600 minutes or something 😉

Thanks,

Erik

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Erik,

One of the other issues is if you are using IIS there are timeout settings there.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.