Not applicable

CAL guidelines

Hi,

1. Our Qlikview setup consist of:
    • SBE server
    • 12 named CALs
    • 10 document CALs
  2. At the moment we have 12 documents. from which 5 are heavily used
  3. Some of the users can use their own NTLM account and some use generic account (Domain\Rapport1,Domain\Rapport2 ect..)
  4. having multle users,log under  the same generic account, causes a "war" over sessions. Not something you can work with,,,
  5. Hence the need for more CALS
  6. As meduim organization with limited resources, having already spent more than €21K on Qlikview, we seek the most affordable solution
  7. The question 1 : Could you, based on the above and on your own experience,  give recommendation on which CAL should be purchased?
  8. The question 2 : Are they thumb rules for required CALS?

Best regards,

Dror

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

"Dynamic assignment" means that unassigned CALs will be automatically assigned to those who try to open the document. But once it is assigned, it stays assigned to that person. The document CALs are named so the idea is that they cannot "float" to other users.

If you in the management console removes an assignment, then you will get the 24hrs quarantine, and after this period the CAL can be used any way you want. The quarantine is there to prevent more than once change per day.

If you really want floating licenses, then it is the Session CAL that you should look at.

HIC

View solution in original post

4 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

The war over sessions that you mentioned, is a deliberate design in QlikView. It can only happen if several users try to use the same named license. Hence, it is a sign of a software license breach. Therefore the use of generic accounts should be avoided.

Named CALs are always better since it gives the user unlimited access. However, they are more costly so you need to see how many of your users that need to access many documents. These should have Named CALs. The others should have Document CALs.

HIC

Not applicable
Author

Henric,

Appericiate your help!

one question though: suppose I allocate 1 document CAL on a given document. ' Allow dynamic CAL assignment' is checked. 1st logs in, consume the CAL, and logs out. When wil the CAL be available for the second user? After 24hrs quarantine or after the session expires?

Dror

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

"Dynamic assignment" means that unassigned CALs will be automatically assigned to those who try to open the document. But once it is assigned, it stays assigned to that person. The document CALs are named so the idea is that they cannot "float" to other users.

If you in the management console removes an assignment, then you will get the 24hrs quarantine, and after this period the CAL can be used any way you want. The quarantine is there to prevent more than once change per day.

If you really want floating licenses, then it is the Session CAL that you should look at.

HIC

Not applicable
Author

Henrik,

Yes, I came to the same conclusion. 27 users x 4 documents = that amount

would be very hard to sell to my CTO. I can see the ROI running

away...(sorry, had to throw my frustration a little bit)

Dror

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Henric Cronström