Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can Publisher perform a script EXECUTE that calls qv.exe?

I am trying to set up a process in QV Publisher V11 SR1 where Publisher will
reload a QlikView document that contains an EXECUTE command that calls qv.exe
to reload another QlikView document. The reason is that I am trying to find a
work-around to the Publisher limitation of not executing macros, since I need
to eventually execute a macro post reload to export some tables.

I have set up the QV Documents with EXECUTE of a BAT file that contains an
execute of qv.exe to reload a qvw document. I log on to my server with the service machine
credentials, verify that it is licensed to run QlikView locally, run all the
processes manually, and all works great. As soon as I try to run it in Publisher, however,
it stalls on the EXECUTE part. I can see the qv.exe process through task manager assigned
to the service machine, but it shows no activity. I have provided all script privileges to the service account
user under desktop QlikView.

I am simply trying to perform the command line reload at this point. There are
no macros in the reload document yet, so it is not a macro execution issue. The
issue seems to be that Publisher will not allow itself to perform a script
EXECUTE command that involves a call to qv.exe. Of course, there are no errors.
It seems to be waiting for response to something. Does anyone know of some
easter egg settings that might allow this?

Thanks,
Phil

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Phil,

Hope I'm getting this correctly.

I would try stripping out the EXECUTE part and launching the QV.exe from a bat file and set this up as an External Program task in Publisher instead of trying to do a chaining thing inside the .qvw scripts.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Phil,

Hope I'm getting this correctly.

I would try stripping out the EXECUTE part and launching the QV.exe from a bat file and set this up as an External Program task in Publisher instead of trying to do a chaining thing inside the .qvw scripts.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Phil, I have made this work as an external task. In my case, I had to add the /nosecurity cmdline switch to get it work. I had macro, I know you are not there yet, but I offer it for what it's worth.

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

As mentioned below I would recomend using a supporting task to trigger a .bat to reload the qvw "outside" of publisher for it to trigger the macro.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for all the responses. I actually stumbled across this myself yesterday, and it works beautifully. I can verify Rob's suggestion to use the /NoSecurity switch in the command line in order to get the macro execution to work.

The only drawback to this technique that I can see is that you have to give up a license for the service machine to run qv.exe.
-Phil

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Phil,

Check the server manual and look at running this in Batch Mode. This will use a QVB to run it like it would when you use QV.exe and no license will be needed. I think it will support the macros. The version 10 manual has better information on it.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I tried to use the QVB method but there is no "/NoSecurity" switch or equivalent, so I couldn't get the macro run that way.

-Rob