Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Checking for existing session when using webticket

Our QV document is embedded in our web page and we are using the webticket to authenticate the user and then open the QV document with opendoc.htm in an iFrame. This setup works well, but the issue is that if a user navigates away from the page where we have the QV document and then comes back, we currently create a new QV session for that user. This causes QlikView to reserve additional memory for that new session and if one user has close to ten sessions open, it becomes a significant memory use.

To get around of this problem, we would need a way to check whether there is a session already available for the user. I have gone through all the documentation I have been able to find about the webticket implementation and none of them seem to cover this use case. Does anyone have an idea how to accomplish this?

Best regards,

Henry Backman

Labels (1)
6 Replies
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Henry, do you have session recovery enabled?

Not applicable
Author

We do not, we have tested that but it's behaviour is not really consistent and we have turned it off. Keeping it on does solve the memory use problem though.

The problem with keeping session recovery on is that when user is browsing to another page and returning, the selection states are not recovered in our current setup (Could be because we forcibly create a new session?). If the session really closes by closing the browser or time-out, then the selection state is saved but only the field selection and not variable values. Our sheets are conditionally hidden, so the user would not return to a sheet they were, but still have the old selections made... This causes so much confusion with our users that we have to keep it off.

I noticed from the release notes of 11.2 SR1 that this behaviour with session recovery is perhaps changed?

-Henry

Not applicable
Author

Did you find out about this?

Running 11.2 SR5, AJAX client, tickets, having same problem. The session recovery works, but in a highly specific manner. The old session seems to need to expire before a newly created session recovers the selections done in the old session. Same thing for variables.

In short, I also need to check if I already HAVE and existing session that can be reused.

- Andreas

Not applicable
Author

We ended up solving this in our software, basically using the same ticket for a defined time period and trusting it will still work. If the time passed is more than the session timeout, only then will we request a new ticket. So, no, we didn't find a way to check the status of the session, but just relied on time. Works reasonably well for us at least.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, nice workaround!

Although I see no reason why qv shouldn't just reuse the sessions for a given user automatically when redeeming a ticket.

- Andreas

roelvyvey
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Would it be possible to elaborate on how you got the solution working exactly? I'm struggeling with keeping the same session while using webtickets to switch between pages. What URL should the user be pointed to after authenticating using a webticket and landing on another page?