Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Collaboration - Practically how does it work?

Me again

I think that server collaboration may be the answer to the scenariuo that we have where certain users may want to build there own views of data on to of the core qlikview applications that we deliver - without having to amend the core structure of the app.

I just want ot clear up exactly how it works, we don't enterprise edition yet, so can't play around with it, but I think this will be one of the drivers to make us go to Enterprise

Do users create there own objects on the server docs using the AJAX/Java/IE clients, or do they need personal edition with a leased licence and then 'open from server' the documents?

Once, the objects are created and shared, can they be viewed on the server using the clients (AJAX etc..) or do users again need a local version of Qlikview?

If we are using section access with our docs how does this impact what users can do regarding collaboration, do they need to have ADMIN access rather than USER or doesnt it matter?

Do you need publisher to use collaboration?

Anyone come accross any big problems with collaboration? Is it useful good as it sounds? Or do most people tend to avoid it?

As ever - thanks in advance, one day I will know some answers and will be able to change my user name!

Matt

3 Replies
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Do users create there own objects on the server docs using the AJAX/Java/IE clients, or do they need personal edition with a leased licence and then 'open from server' the documents?

The users can create their objects in AJAX/Java/IE Plugin and the Developer. Avoid Java because that is no longer supported in QlikView 10 and you can't create objects in mobile clients.

Once, the objects are created and shared, can they be viewed on the server using the clients (AJAX etc..) or do users again need a local version of Qlikview?

If the user that creates his or her graph wants to share their graph with others, the other users can view the graph in a list of shared graph that they can include it in whatever client they are using except for the mobile clients. The graph can be shared to all users or selected users.

If we are using section access with our docs how does this impact what users can do regarding collaboration, do they need to have ADMIN access rather than USER or doesnt it matter?

The ADMIN and USER of section access has no impact on collaboration. In QlikView 9, there is just a option to enable or disable all collaboration.

Do you need publisher to use collaboration?

No

Anyone come accross any big problems with collaboration? Is it useful good as it sounds? Or do most people tend to avoid it?

The biggest problem with collaboration that I've seen is that if a user wants to include their graph in the core application there is no easy way to migrate the graph to the core application. They have to recreate the graph from zero directly in that application.

If the data model, column names or reports are complex it is usually avoided by fuctional users so you have to develop QlikView carefully if you want to promote collaboration.

Regards.

Regards.

flavio_fazzano
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Another problem is the new user object could consume all the server resources (memory and processors)

On the other hand, Collaboration have more advantages than disadvantages because TI can deliver QV aplications much faster because they can create some objects, like "template" and each user could clone it and add it his/her own "flavour"

Not applicable
Author

A couple other notes we have seen:

- In QV 10, it is possible to copy objects from the server and paste them into a QV document (very cool and glad they fixed that)!

- However, sharing objects (and new sheets) seems kind of hit and miss for us, so if anyone has had luck with this, can someone send the settings used in QV10 to configure sharing?

Thanks in advance!