Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dashboard very slow when connecting to Qlikview Server (AWS)

Hi,

I'm experiencing some weird latency issues with a client's QV dashboard. We've installed Qlikview Server on an AWS EC2 instance (region us-east-1). My client is in the Boston area and I'm in New York. I log into their network via their VPN.

The weird thing is that when I open a dashboard on the server from my local Desktop client, the performance is fine (these dashboards are pretty lean). BUT when my client attempts the same, the same dashboards are extremely slow (~30 seconds to open a tab that only takes about 1-2 seconds for me). He seems to think it's because I'm closer to the AWS location (Virginia) but I don't think the distance from Boston to NYC is substantial enough for that kind of difference in performance.

You'd think if anything, my connection would be slower since I'm using VPN and not on-site connected to their network.

I'm mostly looking for any ideas the community has for troubleshooting this issue.

Thanks,

Taylor

8 Replies
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

A Fiddler trace will provide you some valuable info in this instance.

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I would start by using Chrome and firing up the DevTool (F12). Take a look at the network tab for timings.

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've ran the DevTool and the action taking the most time is "QvsViewClient.aspx" and the phase is 'Waiting (TTFB)'. Could this mean that there is a proxy or something we are hitting before the browser gets a response from the server?

Thanks,

Taylor

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

My first guess is that it is something due to the AWS compute speed or the configuration of the asp environment.  When you use QV Desktop to access the server, which you said is quick, you are not executing those .asp scripts, you are just transferring data back and forth using TCP sockets.

1. What AWS image size is the server?

2. As a test, can you try interacting with the app using the IE Plugin?  My guess is that it will be as fast as your desktop.

3. Is the web server QVWS or IIS?

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey Rob,

Thanks for all of your help thus far!

The AWS size is r3.large.

It's not necessarily the difference between QV Desktop and AccessPoint, it's the different between my session (In NY, using client's VPN) and the client himself (in Boston, using local connection). My connection is much quicker for some reason.

Web server is QVWS.

I'll look into the IE Plugin. But for my client, even his Desktop connection is very slow.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ok, so it sounds indeed like a network issue as the access tool doesn't make a difference. Is this QV server available from outside the customers network?  Or is it set up to allow connections from only the client site?

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. This server is not available from outside of the network, only when on their VPN or onsite.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I was going to suggest testing it from outside the network, but that's not possible.  You've probably exceeded my expertise on this one.  Best to find someone in the organization who can help you trace this through their network.

-Rob