Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Distribution Service vs. Section Access ... Known Issues?

Hello,

I am running (so far quite successful) QV9 SR1 server with AJAX and Win-Desktop-Clients.
I am not using Publisher.

To enable access to separate data sections, I created different applications (e.g. for each business unit 1 application). Then I figured out how 'Section Access' works.

Last week I changed my application by adding section access; I removed all 'Business Unit' copys and replaced them with 1 app with section access enabled.
The whole section access mechnism works perfectly.

But ...

I notice that the reload functionality of the is server is hanging. I seethat the Distribution Service consumes lots of memory, and that the overall machine performance is very (very very) slow. After a restart of the Distribution Service (all other services continue working) the system behaves 'normal'/ as expected ... until the Distribution Service gets slow again ...

Questions:

* Are there any 'special considerations' when enabling Section Access?
* Any special server settings to apply?
* Did you have similar experience? And how did you work around?

Thank you,
Thilo

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

More replies on a weekday? 😉

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Thilo,

Even though you are not using Publisher, all QVS9 services run under what is commonly called the "Publisher" account (the account that you inputted during the server setup). You need to make sure that you add this Windows account as an ADMIN in the Section Access of your QVWs. This can be done using the username, although I personally prefer the SID. Both the QlikView Reference Manual and the QVS Reference Manual should have more details on this.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hello Vlad,

in the Reload Schedule definition section of the QV Enterprise Mgmt Console there is the option to specify the login account for Section Access. I set this to a matching ADMIN user of my Section Access User list.

Isn't that the same as setting the account you are referring to?

Thank you,
Thilo

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Strangely enough that doesn't always work. Perhaps that's a bug that will be corrected with future releases, but for now you need to add the Publisher account into Section Access to guarantee functionality.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hello Vlad,

I changed the system to take NTNAME into account. I changed the reload definition by removing userid/ password, so that NTNAME must be used.

The reload works ... once or twice ... as before.
The server gets slow again, the Distr.Service consumes lots of memory.
I need to restart the Distri.Service to make the reload work again ... for another few times.

Any further idea?
(I started to involve QV Support also)

Thank you,
Thilo

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Thilo,

I would recommend updating to SR2--that resolved a lot of the issues that were present in SR1 and just might fix the problem.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hello Vlad,

I applied SR2 yesterday ... and so far it is looking promising.

Thank you,
Thilo

Not applicable
Author

Hello Vlad,

I applied SR2 yesterday ... and so far it is looking promising.

Thank you,
Thilo