Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allyson227
Contributor
Contributor

Distribution Services Folder not Created

Good Morning,

I use Qlikview, it is not clustered and I do not use Publisher.

I have been trying to manage server performance by restarting services about every other day.  My process is to stop Distribution service,Webserver, , Directory service and Management service in that order, then restart the Qlikview server service, then rename the Distribution Services folder and start the rest of the services in the reverse order.  I do this in a window when there are not any reloads running.

When I restart Distribution Service, a new Distribution Service folder is always created.  I only keep the new one and 1 old one because they are large.

Today when I ran this process, a new Distributions Service folder did not get created.  However reloads are running normally and I have not had any Qlikview errors since I did the restarts about an hour ago.

One other piece of information - this morning before I did the restarts I reduced the number of concurrent reloads from 6 to 4, also to manage performance.

Should I be concerned that there is not a Distribution Services folder?  Is there something I should be doing differently?

I appreciate any assistance.  

Thank you,

Allyson Maurer

1 Reply
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

I would verify the QDS exe.config file did not get updated with an alternate App Data folder path, as that would be the only explanation of which I can think that would fit your scenario, the QDS service cannot run unless it can write to the App Data path, so if things are running as you say, the issue has to be that the path has changed...

C:\Program Files\QlikView\Distribution Service\QVDistributionService.exe.config

<!-- Defaults to %PROGRAMDATA%\QlikTech\DistributionService -->
<add key="ApplicationDataFolder" value="" />

That is the key you want to check, there should be a value there, but it could be in one other place too:

C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService\config_servername.xml

<root>
<Setting Name="ApplicationDataFolder" Value="C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService" />
</root>

Only two places where that information is stored such that the service knows where to look for things.  There is actually one other place now that I think about it, but it should be in sync with the others:

C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\ManagementService\QVPR\DistributionService.xml

ApplicationDataFolder="C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService"

That is the tag for which you are looking there and the value there should match the others if they are populated.

You can adjust the settings in the exe.config file noted above regarding logging etc., which should negate the need to be deleting things all the time too.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.