Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Document CAL restrictions on data model

According to the official guidance on QlikView license restrictions, you cannot assign a document CAL to a document which has a "single contiguous data model".

The purpose of the Document CAL is to provide a mechanism by which licensees can license the use of a single document. To prevent the combination of many data models in a single document, there are restrictions in the documents that can be used with the Document CAL. However, the Named User CAL, the Session CAL, and the Usage CAL can be used to open any functional QlikView document. The Document CAL can only be used with documents that have a single contiguous data model and do not contain any chasm traps between tables. 

Most common data models used in QlikView documents can be used for Document CALs. For instance, proper star schemas and snowflake schemas typically have the field with the highest cardinality in the fact table and the keys in dimensional tables have a lower cardinality. For snowflake schemas, the cardinality decreases further when moving away from the fact table. Documents containing such models typically fulfill the above demands and are well-suited for Document CALs. Documents with multiple logical islands are normally not allowed. Multiple logical islands are only allowed, if the additional tables are unconnected and contain only few records or a single column. In addition, the document may not contain any loosely coupled tables.

Finally, the cardinality (that is, the number of distinct values) of the key fields must decrease when moving away from the fact table.

Apparently (I've been told), if your document does not follow the rules above, you will not be able to assign a document CAL to the document (in the server management console, the option will be disallowed with a message saying "Document CALs are not applicable. Reason: Multiple non-trivial logical islands. Document does not comply with Document CAL licensing restrictions).

I have tried to deliberately create a QVW document which demonstrates this restriction. I have 3 separate fact tables, 1 million+ rows in each, and each fact table has 3 or 4 dimension tables joined to it (100,000+ rows in each dimension table). I therefore have 3 sets of tables, which are not connected to each other.

I assume this is what is called a 'logical island' - a set of tables not connected to another group of tables.

However, my document seems to accept a document CAL just fine (also, when I go to Help-> Document Support Info -> Document License Status, it says ALLOWED). So i am confused as to what the actual restrictions are, as it does not seem to be explained in detail anywhere, and I cannot seem to reproduce a document which fails the rules.

Has anyone been able to work out exactly what the document CAL restriction rules are? The problem is QlikView's definitions are wooly and not clearly defined at all. i.e. has anyone been able to clarify for example:

• What is the definition of a single contiguous data model or multiple logical data islands? I have 3 separate sets of fact / dimension tables, not connected, yet this seems to be okay, so I don't understand what this means
  • What is a chasm trap between tables?
  • What is the definition of a loosely coupled table - does this mean just a many-to-many link table? Again, I have tried creating a many-to-many table but this seems to be fine also

Any clarification would be gratefully recieved, even better can someone supply an example QVW which fails the rules.

Thanks

1 Reply
swuehl
MVP
MVP

James,

good question.

I haven't seen a document with that restriction, too. but I remember older posts that stated the existence:

http://community.qlik.com/thread/53457

I think I've got the same understanding as you regarding the contiguous data model and multiple logical data island, so I think your sample should be contradicting this requirement.

I know chasm traps from Business Objects / SQL, where it's mostly a central table with 1:n relationship to two other tables, so depending on your join query, the numbers can go wrong:

simple example for SQL traps [chasm / fan trap] | SCN

A loosely coupled table is something that is in general to be avoided anyway in QV modeling, see here for a description of how this issue arise:

http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2013/06/25/circular-references

But even when you create a loosely coupled table, I can't get the document license status information to other than "Allowed".

I assume this requirement may just not be valid anymore (probably because it caused to many discussions with customers why there document was restricted from doc cal assignement).

Regards,

Stefan