Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Document CALs are not applicable ?

We find this error message In QlikView Enterprise Management Consol.

Attached Screen Image.

I want to apply Document CAL

I don't understand this message and how to solve. someone help me please.

Document CALs are not applicable. Reason:
Multiple non-trivial logical islands. Document does not comply with Document CAL licensing restrictions, please see documentation

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

There are some restrictions on what data models may be used with Document CALs. The limit is there to ensure that a qvw document really represents only a single application. Contact QT support for guidance.

-Rob

View solution in original post

8 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

There are some restrictions on what data models may be used with Document CALs. The limit is there to ensure that a qvw document really represents only a single application. Contact QT support for guidance.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Rob

Not applicable
Author

Hello experts,

I have the same problem as sky777a...

Can someone help me ?

Many thanks

Regards

Not applicable
Author

Dear mcheloni

In my case, I had modified data model.

And you can find other details in QVS Reference manual.

The Document CAL, however, can only be used

with documents which have a single contiguous data model and do not contain

any chasm traps between tables.

Most common data models used in QlikView documents can be used for

Document CALs. For instance, proper star schemas and snowflake schemas

typically have the field with the highest cardinality in the fact table and the

keys in dimensional tables have a lower cardinality. For snowflake schemas,

the cardinality decreases further as you move away from the fact table. Documents

containing such models typically fulfill the above demands and are

well suited for Document CALs.

But documents with multiple logical islands are normally not allowed. Multiple

logical islands are only allowed if the additional tables are unconnected

and contain only few records or one single column.

Further, the document may not contain any loosely coupled tables.

Finally, the cardinality (number of distinct values) of the key fields must

decrease as you move away from the fact table.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

There is nothing in the QVS reference manual that desribes the data model limitation. Very frustrating.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Tim,

Copied from the QVS Reference Manual (v9) following the paragraph posted above

But documents with multiple logical islands are normally not allowed. Multiplelogical islands are only allowed if the additional tables are unconnectedand contain only few records or one single column.Further, the document may not contain any loosely coupled tables.Finally, the cardinality (number of distinct values) of the key fields mustdecrease as you move away from the fact table.

Regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Found it. Thanks Still frustrated though. These restrictions make these licenses only useable in very limited situations.

1) no many to many relationships in models. Break cardinality decreases as you move away from fact table.

2) if you have > 1 fact table and conformed dimensions, you have a huge filtering problem that will cause users alot of grief is they are not careful. I described that in my other post but can describe it again to anyone that cares. Its not obvious this one.

3) if you use what they are calling "isolated islands" with more than X (where X is some numnber not in the document) rows for meta data you break rules.

A very simple single fact table star schema (or snowflake) with zero metadata should be ok.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

So i tested a document with isolated island in it on a version 9 32bit win 2003 server and i when i browsed the user documents, clicked the document CAL's tab and clicked on the document in question, i got a red message saying,

"Document CALs are not applicable. Reason:
Multiple non-trivial logical islands. Document does not comply with Document CAL licensing restrictions, please see documentation"

Next I tested this on a different 64bit win2003 server and bingo, I can access the document and there is no red message. Interesting. Both server have identical configurations as far as i can tell other than 64bit vs 32bit and version (9 vs 10). Unintended change for version 10 or maybe changed "by design" ? Who knows. Inconsistent anyway.