Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Does reloading qlikview dashboard manually takes more memory than reloading via QMC?

Hi,

I wanted to know if reloading qlikview dashboard manually (via your username) on the development server takes more memory (there are other developers also logged into the same development machine) than reloading it via QMC.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Janaki

12 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

I would expect the memory for reload would be about the same.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill,

Thanks for replying.

For heavy dashboard which takes more than 1 hour, would you recommend a manual reload or a reload from QMC.

Also does running via QMC runs the task in the background which ends up using less memory.

Regards,

Janaki

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

The reload with publisher is almost the same as running the desktop. If you look at the services, you will see a QVB.exe process running. This is basically the desktop QV.exe without a GUI. Reloads should be schedule during the day/night when you have less activity on the server.

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I think Bill have cleared the most of the things regarding the topics but I still like to point out that I think you should reconsider your setup and instead look into divided environment for dev and the QVS as you current setup will result in regular problems that will cost you in the long run.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Hampus Andersson,

Can you further explain what sort of problems do you expect we would face in the longer run?

Regards,

Janaki

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

The most noticeable problems are and will be the use of resources. The QVS function best in a environment where it allowed to used the maximum of all resources, a scenario that you will not be able to provide in a mixed environment where you also are doing development and development related reloads.

If you plan to scale the use of the QVS as a platform to publish documents to your end users (and not just as a reload-platform) will you also have an increasing use of the servers resources with every logged in user.That means that the logged in users will affect the developers work, and the developers work will affect the end users usage experience. So I would say it sounds like a lose-lose saturation but I assume you are aware of the problems are you whent down that path in the first place.   

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Hampus,

You are correct if they have the money to invest into additional Hardware.

Bill

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Well we have been facing memory starvation issues and due to that our developers have been disconnected from the development server quite a few times. So until IT kills the process that's eating up the memory the server won't allow any of the developer to login and work on their stuff. Same goes with the end user.

We thought we had a high end server (256 GB RAM) and it would be able to manage the load, but the way qlikview works (in-memory) it is not helping much.

Thanks for the comments.

Regards,

Janaki

Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill,

Would you recommend having Development environment for the developers to login (One single server or different instances for every developer) and work on their QV applications and have the dashboards published on another separate environment (QA) with just the publisher. The Production environment will be completely separate.

What are your thoughts on this sort of server architecture?

Regards,

Janaki