Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

File opening in the problems created with Personal Edition (Problemas na abertura de ficheiro criados com Personal Edition)

I have many files on my pc with Personal Edition license. I had to format the machine, keeping the same name and same user and never managed to open the files.

The message is always the same, saying that the file was created on another machine by another user. Can anyone help overcome this situation?

Thank you

Translated with Google Translate - Qlik Community Administrative Team

Tenho diversos ficheiros no meu pc com a licença Personal Edition. Tive que formatar a maquina, mantendo o mesmo nome e mesmo user e nunca mais consegui abrir os ficheiros.

A mensagem é sempre a mesma, dizendo que o ficheiro foi criado noutra máquina por outro utilizador. Alguém pode ajudar a ultrapassar esta situação?

Obrigado

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you only want to recover your LOAD scripts, you can use Qlik Sense. See Re: Retrieve Code from Personal Edition

This technique cannot be used to recover UI elements however.

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

12 Replies
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Hi,

The situation you describe will keep happening.

Why?

Because it is a new install of QlikView Personal Edition. For a new install, a new "personal edition key" is generated on install. This key is different than the "personal edition key" with which your original files were made. As a result you get a popup stating something like "created on another machine by another user".

Ignore the actual text; what it means is "different installation of QlikView", which is true. The warning message also should tell you that you have "4 recovery attempts left" (assuming you did never accept this message).

If those files are all made with the same previous QlikView install, I suggest you thick the "Yes, I want to continue" box and click on "continue". That will result in the number of recovery attempts going down, but also that your new install will be adjusted to your previous "personal edition key" and you should now be able to open all your previous QVW's.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

May you live in interesting times!
Not applicable
Author

Hi.

Thanks for your help. But, the warning message don't tell that I have "4 recovery attempts left", and I never saw that message. with that files.

Meanwhile, I create a new file and uninstal QV PE, and after re-install, I saw that message only in the file created minutes before...

The other old files, create after format, I never saw that message

What can I do to recover all my work.. ?

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Is the company you work for using QlikView?

If so, do you have a Named CAL for QlikView at your company?

If so, what you could do is do a "License Lease".

This requires you to connect to the Server with your home PC (or whatever the PC is you are using your Personal Edition on) and open a file "in server". This will license your local install for a month.

If you keep connecting your PC with your server every month - 1 day, you can keep your PC licenses and open all the files you want.

Alternatively, you could consider buying a local license.

Not applicable
Author

My company does not have any license for QV.

I have personal edition for my purpose... I just want the scripts of my qvw files...

How can I do that, if its possible?

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

I think what you than have to do is make a choice between your old script / QVW's and your new QVW's.

Maybe as a "trick" you could copy the script of your current (new) QVW's into text files, then open your old QVW's, accept the "warning / continue" thing (and use 1 of your recovery attempts) and rebuild your (new) QVW's.

Not applicable
Author

Ya, I certain do that, but as I said before, I don't have the message/warnig of the recovery attempt...

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

This is an (probably old) example of that "recovery attempts" warning. Hope this can help you understand it:

qlikview_recovery_warning.png

Not applicable
Author

I have the message below:

q.jpg

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

That message tells you that you apparently have already used up your recovery attempts.

In that case I fear the only solution is to either buy a license or find peace in saying goodbye to your old files.

Maybe as an alternative you could try to find a friend who has a QlikView license who is willing to open your QVW's, copy the script to text files and send those to you.

Any other way I can think of is illegal (and as far as I know fixed in the later service releases), so not to be discussed.