Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Hide Documents on Access Point & File Permissions

Hi There,

I got a question on NTFS security & documents shown on Access Point. We are trying to hide documents on Access point., based on understanding we have defnied "Read" permissions for the documents and yes documents are indeed hiden.

However when we open the documents from the developer. The document fails to open indicating that no permission has been given to open the document. Strangely the deny has been set for users while Administrators have been given full control. Can someone point me in the right direction?

BTW the documents & developer sits in the same machine and when opening the hidden documents, we are using an administrator account. Do share your thoughts on this and perhaps a better way to hide the relevant QVW documents. My settins as follow;

• QVS SR6
  • QV developer SR 6
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64 Bit)

Look forward to your advise. Cheers

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Pay attention, in NTFS permission "Deny" settings win on "Grant" settings always, this means that if your Admin users are in the user group too, system will deny access them, hope help, regards.

Not applicable
Author

"Read" permissions should not hide a document, it show show the document in AccessPoint. If you remove "Read" permission for the user in question, it will not show the document in AccessPoint.

Typically we will set up two NTFS groups - one for Users and the other for Developers. The Users group will have Read access on the documents, and the Developers group will have "full" access to the document so that they can edit it and redeploy it. This is a simplified explanation, but it's the basic gist of it.

Can you send more detailed information, including screen shots of the NTFS permisssion settings for the files you're trying to restrict access on?

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

The issue seems to be with the permissions for the users."Unchecking"the read permission instead of "checking"deny read seems to be the way around it.

I guess its a drive inheritence behaviour in Windows that is the reason behind it. Now it works ok