Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to publish through 9.0 publisher

Hi all,

If I mount my folder in server setting tab it is visible under user doc & accessible to user.

Now I am mounting a folder(having one application) in the publisher setting tab of management console.

Please let me know how to publish it for all users & also for selected users.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

I think you might be a little confused as to how QVS works. Just because a folder appears under User Documents does not mean that all users have access to it. The User Documents tab is for your administrative use and users will only see files that you specifically distribute to them. Meaning, the QVW files do not inherit NTFS permissions from the parent folder. Using your example, here's what you need to do:

1) test_publish (define this as a mount)

2) test (this is not a mount, but rather just another folder in the list)

3) You shouldn't need to write any section access code unless you want to add additional security. For the sake of simplicity and clarity, let's not discuss that now.

4) To split the application into 2 parts (assuming there are only 2 values for the field Region): go to Source Documents, find your file, and create a new task on it. Leave the first 2 tabs (General and Reload) with default settings. Under the Reduce tab, select "Open Document" then Loop & Reduce --> Region. Select the pencil icon next to the name, and use this as the name template: %SourceDocumentName% - %DocumentField,Region% (or any variation you want).

5, 7, 😎 Next, go to the Distribute tab. Distribution can be complicated when you are looping and reducing. Ideally, you would have a field called "account" for example that is associated with Region. You would then select the Loop Field in Document subtab and use the "account" field to check against UserandGroupName (this is Windows usernames). Doing this will dynamically assign your NTFS permissions based on the Region field value. Under Destination, select QlikView Server and then select the mount you created. On the other hand, if you do not want to create an "account" field in your document, you would need to distribute under the Manually subtab: select QlikView Server, your mount, and then press the icon with the +-sign to add users manually. Next, select the Document Info tab and define a category if you want. Go to the Triggers tab and add a Current Trigger. Schedule this task however you want. Finally, under the Server tab, you can select which clients will be able to open the resulting documents.

6) No.

Hopefully the process is clearer to you now. The QVS Reference Manual contains much of this information so take a look there if you have any questions.

Regards,

View solution in original post

7 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

First of all, use QEMC instead of QMC (it's much easier). Set up a mount in server settings (this is important to make sure your distribution doesn't overwrite the original file). Then go to Documents -> Source Documents. Find you file here and add a new task. Go to the Distribution tab and add a QlikView Server distribution that will go to the mount you created. Click the icon next to it to add users. To distribute to all users, select "All Authenticated." Otherwise, select "Named Users" and find the ones you are looking for (* is used for wildcard searches). See the QVS Reference Manual for more details.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Below problem is for 9.0 only.

If I mount any folder on server setting tab & all document under this folder comes in user document tab, which is automatically visible to all users (for NTFS authentication).

let me clear you, I have one folder named test which has one qvw file that I want to splitt (with the help of publisher)into two on the basis of a field region then want to keep the splitted qvw into a folder test_publish.

Now the folder test_publish has two qvw files which I want to publish to two different users.

Now here is my questions.

1. Which folder I will mouint on server setting tab.

2. which folder I will mount on publisher setting tab.

3. Is there any section access code I will have to write in my application.

4. how will i splitt the application into two parts using publisher feature.

5. after splitting where i would specify to store these files in the folder test_publish.

6. Is there any xml file i have to generate manually for publisher database.

7. How the access would be given to two different users.

8. how to publish this finally.

please reply

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

I think you might be a little confused as to how QVS works. Just because a folder appears under User Documents does not mean that all users have access to it. The User Documents tab is for your administrative use and users will only see files that you specifically distribute to them. Meaning, the QVW files do not inherit NTFS permissions from the parent folder. Using your example, here's what you need to do:

1) test_publish (define this as a mount)

2) test (this is not a mount, but rather just another folder in the list)

3) You shouldn't need to write any section access code unless you want to add additional security. For the sake of simplicity and clarity, let's not discuss that now.

4) To split the application into 2 parts (assuming there are only 2 values for the field Region): go to Source Documents, find your file, and create a new task on it. Leave the first 2 tabs (General and Reload) with default settings. Under the Reduce tab, select "Open Document" then Loop & Reduce --> Region. Select the pencil icon next to the name, and use this as the name template: %SourceDocumentName% - %DocumentField,Region% (or any variation you want).

5, 7, 😎 Next, go to the Distribute tab. Distribution can be complicated when you are looping and reducing. Ideally, you would have a field called "account" for example that is associated with Region. You would then select the Loop Field in Document subtab and use the "account" field to check against UserandGroupName (this is Windows usernames). Doing this will dynamically assign your NTFS permissions based on the Region field value. Under Destination, select QlikView Server and then select the mount you created. On the other hand, if you do not want to create an "account" field in your document, you would need to distribute under the Manually subtab: select QlikView Server, your mount, and then press the icon with the +-sign to add users manually. Next, select the Document Info tab and define a category if you want. Go to the Triggers tab and add a Current Trigger. Schedule this task however you want. Finally, under the Server tab, you can select which clients will be able to open the resulting documents.

6) No.

Hopefully the process is clearer to you now. The QVS Reference Manual contains much of this information so take a look there if you have any questions.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Thanks ! it worked. Now only the problem with distribution that is I am able to select the only local user that is the M/c onto which server is running.

However I have configured the Active directory path under system tab still it is not working.

Is QV 9.0 publisher takes Active directory path automatically or needs manual configuration.

If I am following --> select the Loop Field in Document subtab and use the "account" field to check against UserandGroupName (this is not working). -->Giving a warning massage after trigger that unable to find any user.

If I am going through manual tab then I am able to select either all authenticated or only local users.

I have alreadty splitted the application & then based on the domain name I have to populate it - please tell me the process.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

It's probably giving you an error because there is a problem with the LDAP connection and it can't verify the users exist. Normally, the LDAP connection string is populated automatically, but I find it helpful sometimes to do it manually. It will be in this format by default: LDAP://subdomain.domain.com. I would changed it to distinguished format: LDAP://DC=subdomain,DC=domain,DC=com and of course specify a username/password to connect (especially if the problem continues to happen after switching to distinguished format, the issue might be with the username; you can check this in the DSC logs located in C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DirectoryServiceConnector\Log or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikTech\DirectoryServiceConnector\Log).

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Every time after entering a valid active user directory path LDAP://domain.com or LDAP://IP add & user name & password it is not able to find any user. when I am checking the log of DSC there i find 3/10/2010 15:03:58.7476566 Warning (ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryProvider) Exception while initializing LDAP://192.168.0.24: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

However I am able to get user from local admin group from which its services are running but not able to find out domain users.

please find a way out..

Today I found that while finishing any task its status is in waiting state. can u explain.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

The second part is easy: "waiting" is Qlikview's way of saying that the last execution was successful and it's waiting to run the task again at some point (not necessarily now).

Regarding the LDAP, you need to specify a domain username in your DSC. Go to QEMC --> System --> Directory Service Connectors --> Active Directory. Do the following:

1. Specify the path in Distinguished format. For example, if your domain is subdomain.mydomain.com, Distinguished format would be LDAP://DC=subdomain,DC=mudomain,DC=com.
  2. In the username/password fields, put in a domain user in the format mydomain\username and then the password.

Regards,