Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
divya_anand
Creator III
Creator III

Huge report - performance issue - Loop field?

Hi,

I am working on a report which when opened occupies 33gb RAM, and if multiple users are trying to access this via AccessPoint it will definitely occupy huge RAM space which is affecting the entire system. (FYI - the available RAM is just 112GB). So, I thought Loop & reduce might help, to loop by Region. However, I am unable to determine the RAM usage when the reduced report is opened via AccessPoint and not sure if looping by field is really helping. My question is -

(a) How do I check the RAM usage of report opening on AccessPoint (IE Plugin)

(b) Is there a different way to optimize this situation other than Loop & Reduce?

Any help on this is much appreciated. Thank you very much.

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

I suggest as the first step to look if there any possibilities to optimize the application itself, for example by loading only the needed fields, using as datamodel a star-scheme (no link-tables approaches), reducing the max. number of distinct values and some other things more:

http://qlikviewcookbook.com/download/document-analyzer/

The Importance Of Being Distinct

- Marcus

divya_anand
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for your response. I agree with you - having an efficient QVW is very important. The good news is that the QVW is built considering all the factors that you've mentioned and other ways to have better efficiency. The bad news is that - the issue is to do with the data - HUGE data, that's the reason I am considering the idea of reducing the report by looping on field.

Any idea on how else we could go about this?

marcus_sommer

Loop & reduce and/or section access will reduce the RAM consumption for each user access/session - but if and when how much it could reduce the overall RAM consumption by multiplen concurrent users I don't know.

When the application is already quite well optimized I would think about splitting the application in different data-areas maybe with a document-chaining approach and/or thinking about the granularity of the data maybe older data could be aggregated on month-level and only the last year contained data on transaction-level or quite similar.

If this isn't applicable I think the application is a bit (too) heavy for your environment ...

- Marcus

divya_anand
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Marcus,

Document Chaining is my ultimate goal. The idea is to split the reports based on Region on QMC (using Loop by field) - This way I have just 1 QVW in my server but has been split on AccessPoint. And later creating another simple report with only buttons to each of these reports (Region1, Region2, Region3, Global). That's the reason I am trying to split reports using Loop by field, and want to find out the RAM usage of these Region wise reports.

Thank you.