Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

IE plugin vs ZFP client. Pros & cons?

Hi

Like the subject says... what are the pros and cons of the IE plugin and the ZFP client?
We've been using the IE plugin so far and I'm just wondering if there are any reasons for us to start looking at the ZFP client.
All comments are welcome.

Thanks
/Fredrik

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Well, one pro for AJAX is that you don't need IE. IE isn't the favorite browser for some of our users.

Another pro for AJAX is that you don't need a direct connection to the QlikView App Server. Our security policies dictate that, when possible, end-users aren't allowed to connect directly to servers holding sensitive data. Using the AJAX client, we can separate the web server from the app server. (This became a lot easier in QV 9.)

I don't have much experience with the plug-in, but perhaps a pro for it is that the fidelity of what you see is closer to what you see in QV Developer. I know we've had some issues where what appears in the ZFC client is a bit different than what we see in the Developer.

Regards,
-Bill

Not applicable
Author

Hi Fredrik,

I agree with the other comments. My two cents are below.

Pros:

1. If you are using mobile devices with access to your QlikView server then the ZFP client will most likely work with their broswers i.e. you can access the ZFP site on an iPad using Safari and this works quite well.

2. If you have a large installation, ZFP removes the need to manage software deployments / updates for users.

3. With each release the ZFP client is improving so I will be keen to see what V10 holds...

Cons:

1. Some of the stylings i.e. rounded corners and graph styles do not represent accurately when using the ZFP client.

2. Printing from ZFP is not accurate as you are at the mercy of the browser and they all generate different results.

3. You do need Enterprise Server to run ZFP (you probably already know this)

Hope this helps.

Rod

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Rod Jager wrote:You do need Enterprise Server to run ZFP (you probably already know this)

I believe ZFP is supported on all editions of the server (V0 - I don't have 8.5 doc handy).

If you are using session CALs, ZFP has another downside. ZFP has no way to close the session or reuse a session. This means the CAL will not be released until the timeout expires. V10 will provide a ZFP method for explicit session release.

-Rob