Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dadumas
Creator II
Creator II

If a user has a named cal can they use QV developer w/ no addl cost?

Is there an additional license fee if a user has a named cal and they "open in server" using QlikView Developer?  Users developing in the browser is a nightmare - extremely limiting.

Thanks,

Dave

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

No.

Because in that case you will be using QlikView Desktop as an AccessPoint client, just like a regular browser. In addition to that and using a Named CAL, a user can upgrade QV Desktop to a full icensed development tool by leasing the Named CAL. There are no extra fees involved in either of these actions.

And indeed, developing server objects in the AccessPoint using a browser is a bit less developer-friendly than in QV Desktop.

Note that in QlikView Desktop and using Open in Server... a user can still only create server objects for his/her account. They can be shared later on, but they cannot be stored in the underlying QlikView document. For that the user will need direct access to the QVW file. Just like a regular developer.

Also note that Document CALs cannot be leased, but since a user with a Document CAL can also use Open in Server... he/she can still create Server objects. Only not edit a document QVW.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

No.

Because in that case you will be using QlikView Desktop as an AccessPoint client, just like a regular browser. In addition to that and using a Named CAL, a user can upgrade QV Desktop to a full icensed development tool by leasing the Named CAL. There are no extra fees involved in either of these actions.

And indeed, developing server objects in the AccessPoint using a browser is a bit less developer-friendly than in QV Desktop.

Note that in QlikView Desktop and using Open in Server... a user can still only create server objects for his/her account. They can be shared later on, but they cannot be stored in the underlying QlikView document. For that the user will need direct access to the QVW file. Just like a regular developer.

Also note that Document CALs cannot be leased, but since a user with a Document CAL can also use Open in Server... he/she can still create Server objects. Only not edit a document QVW.

dadumas
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I was just told yes by a Qlik partner.  I do not need to upgrade Desktop to a full developer tool, just allow named users  to "open in server", and be able to add their own objects with the full power of devleoper but NOT change the original document on the server

dadumas
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Sorry - I misinterpreted your answer.  I marked you with the correct answer