Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is it possible to run a QV Script (qvs file) in background mode?

I have a script (qvs file) that loads data from different sources, process it and save it to different qvd files. Additionally, I have a qvw document that loads those file with certain frequency, let's say, every 5 minutes.

My question is: can I run in command line (by hand, or with a scheduler) targeting the qvs file directly without loading the whole QV.exe application? I am aware that I can do something like

cmd.exe /c 'C:\Path-To-QlikView\Qv.exe' /r some_app.qvw

but I would rather prefer to run something like

cmd.exe /c 'C:\Path-To-QlikView\Qv-background-mode.exe' /r some_script.qvs

where Qv-background-mode.exe runs some_script.qvs in background mode, that is, without opening the whole Desktop application.

The motivation behind this is that loading from different sources and processing the data in an incremental loading scenario is having poor performance. With an extra loading script, I can pass the hard work there, and make optimized loading from already processed data stored in an updated qvd file, offering a better experience for the end user of a dashboard with periodic updates.

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

A batch-run with the parameter /r is already a background-mode and you couldn't execute a load-script without to run qv.exe or qvb.exe (server-task execution without application-frontend).

If you have a serious performance-problem you couldn't solve it with them. You will need to optimize your loadings (incremental is already good, but there is probably further potential) and/or split and distribute those reload-tasks to several machines.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

2 Replies
marcus_sommer

A batch-run with the parameter /r is already a background-mode and you couldn't execute a load-script without to run qv.exe or qvb.exe (server-task execution without application-frontend).

If you have a serious performance-problem you couldn't solve it with them. You will need to optimize your loadings (incremental is already good, but there is probably further potential) and/or split and distribute those reload-tasks to several machines.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the feedback, Marcus.

I am beginner on QV, and wasn't sure about the best alternative for generating QVD files from different sources. So far I am running this locally on my personal edition. I expect to deploy to server soon to have a better idea of performance.

Thanks again,

Marcelo