Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Licensing Model for Analyzer tool

Can somebody explain me in details the difference between Licensing Model for Analyzer tool:
CAL
Usage CAL
Session CAL

Appreciate to know in details/depth.

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hello,

please seee the extract from QlikView Server Reference Manual:

4 QVS LICENSING
4.1 Client Access Licenses (CALs)
In order to connect to a QlikView Server each client needs a Client Access License (CAL). The CALs are purchased with QlikView Server and tied to the QlikView Server serial number. A CAL is never transferred to a client, but a client uses a CAL when connected to a specific QlikView Server. CALs are thus not transferable between different instances of QlikView Server. If a user is required to work with documents residing on several instances of QlikView Server, a separate CAL is needed at each of the QlikView Servers.
4.2 Types of CALS
There are three different types of CALs available:
• User CAL - Access is based on the user identity or machine identity. Any number of concurrent sessions from one user on one machine at a time is
allowed. In order to utilize a user CAL, the client user must be identifiable either via user name (Windows or Novell) or with a unique machine ID. IP
Address is not a valid form of identification for a User CAL. User name identification and machine name identification cannot be mixed on the same
instance of QlikView Server. Note that user name identification requires Windows authentication on Java and Zero-Footprint clients, since machine
name identification is not possible from these clients.
• Session CAL - Each Session CAL allows one user to access one QlikView document, i.e. to have one session at a time. Anonymous users are allowed, no identification of the client user is necessary.
• Usage CAL - Each Usage CAL gives the right to initiate one session (single document) per running 28-day period. The session may last a maximum of one hour. Any activity after the first hour has expired will count as a new session (albeit without visible interruption). No identification of the client
user is necessary.
TIP: CALs are used for purposes of licensing only and they have nothing to do with
user authentication for data access purposes.

I hope this helps.

Rainer

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your immediate f/b. Suppose I have deployed 10 dashboard on the server, did you refer to as 10 Qlikview documents. If I have 5 session cal then I can access any five dashboard provided I have 5 instances of browser windows running from my machine for each dashboard (Correct me if i'm wrong) or i can start one browser session and can access any 10 dashboard. I think might be confusing but i want to understand how session cal works. Could you please provide scenario/example.