Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Move QV Server Objects to global application

Hi Qlik-Experts

We are allowing users to create user-specific server objects. Some of the user-created content is very useful and it might be decided to take it over to the standard (global) application, every user can see.

What is the best practice to do this?

Is it possible that the user can share the server object with a developer from the BI team, that developer copies the object in IE plugin and pastes it to the QV fat client, checks the object regarding consistency and saves the app?

Any other (smarter) way?

Thanks a lot

cause'n'effect.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Of course there is a method to lift server objects from the access point and plaster them all over your QVW (with your suggested safety steps, I mean).

A QV Desktop can function as both a development tool (editing QVW files) and an AccessPoint client, even in the same session. The client will act as an IE Plugin but without browser.

To get the idea, do this:

• Start QV Desktop
  • Open the QVW version of a published document, or make a copy of the original and then open it.
  • Now select File->Open In Server, navigate to your access point and select the same document from the list at the bottom. This is the published version.
  • Make sure that WebView has been switched off.
  • Now, select a server object from the AP screen (assuming you made a few server objects already), select Edit->Copy, move over to the QVW window and select Edit->Paste.
  • TADA!

If you need server objects made by other AP users, enter their credentials when performing Open In Server, and their view of this document will be presented, including their server objects.

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Of course there is a method to lift server objects from the access point and plaster them all over your QVW (with your suggested safety steps, I mean).

A QV Desktop can function as both a development tool (editing QVW files) and an AccessPoint client, even in the same session. The client will act as an IE Plugin but without browser.

To get the idea, do this:

• Start QV Desktop
  • Open the QVW version of a published document, or make a copy of the original and then open it.
  • Now select File->Open In Server, navigate to your access point and select the same document from the list at the bottom. This is the published version.
  • Make sure that WebView has been switched off.
  • Now, select a server object from the AP screen (assuming you made a few server objects already), select Edit->Copy, move over to the QVW window and select Edit->Paste.
  • TADA!

If you need server objects made by other AP users, enter their credentials when performing Open In Server, and their view of this document will be presented, including their server objects.

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Peter, this is a very good explanation, thank you very much!

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Oh Great.

I take back my words.

Learned a new thing.

I tried personally and it worked.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Not applicable
Author

Peter,

this works great thanks but is there no ability to copy the whole sheet instead of copying each object seperately

thank you

Kallie

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

None that I know of.

Anyway, a sheet can be easily recreated. It's the exact duplication of a group of objects and their positions that you are worried about, isn't it? That will work as well since you can select everything on an AP sheet (draw a frame along the border of the sheet) and copy & paste the objects in the exact same spot. Create sheet - copy all objects in a single sweep - done.

Peter

Not applicable
Author

peter,

i feel so blonde now , i tried selecting multiple items by holding down select never occured to just draw frame around.