Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Odd performance behaviour on QVS

As a part of a trying to identify the root cause of a performance issue on a 8.5 x64 QVS, I came across this odd behaviour on the server performance window. It seems to happen a few times a day with 2-10 users on the system and slows down the performance for all users (making it feel like the system is hung up). Typically, we see this lasting for between 2-5 minutes. Ocassionally, we have to restart the service for the system to get back to normal. Other times, the system gets back to regular performance in a few minutes.

Has anyone else come across something like this? Any ideas/suggestions for troubleshooting?

error loading image

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Further monitoring of the Processes and CPU utilization points me to "mshta.exe". The CPU usage on this seems to match the performance charts that we have been seeing. From what I understand this file is used by HTML Applications.

Do you know if this is a file that's being used by any of the QVS components? We are running QVS and QV Publisher Standard on the same box.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

Which version of 8.5 (.6261?) . Have you turned up the verbosity to high on server logging, if you do this it is very important to move the log dump location off the c drive as the files will get very large very fast. In the QlikVIew Server Management Console >General tab you can change these settings.

Also in the start >run >services.msc and QlikView service >properties >Recovery set all failures to Restart the Service (I think this is done by default on install now, but can't remember so it is good to check).

Happy hunting!.

Not applicable
Author

Running on 8.50.6299 version of QVS.

Already have the verbosity to high. and you are correct, Restart the Service is set for the QVS service.

Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

are the logs showing any inconsistancy -d's or anything in there? How are you analysing the logs, using the QlikView Server Performance app?

/Karl

Not applicable
Author

Karl,

I have been using QVS Performance app since yeterday, so still new to it. I have been focused on the Details tab and have no Errors.

I have a number of Warnings: Failed to read from c:\documents: Access Denied. User=[username] But none of the users showing up on the username are having access issues to the document. All my users have READ only access to the documents folder.

I also have a number of Ticket created and Ticket Lookup messages plus three Debug messages (multiple times) as follows:

Debug: CNTService::Handler(4)

Debug: CNTService::OnInterrogate()

Debug: Updating status (1624592,4)

Still trying to figure out the implications of the above.

What do you mean when you say "showing inconsistancy -d's"?

Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

Well there are a few of them. All the "Internal inconsistency" errors (A thru D currently) are exactly that, i.e. a nicer way to say that we have come across a bug. There is no specific information as to what is causing it though. There are two possible actions to take (in this order): 1) Upgrade to latest Hot Fix (where the problem may very well be solved). 2) If the problem persists, try to determine if the behavior is linked to a specific document, client type, operation (load, unload, export, special macro etc) or a combination thereof. If so, we need to further investigate the issue.

Geeked

Not applicable
Author

Karl,

We are running the latest version of QVS (8.50.6299.0409.10). There is only one document that is being used on this server with only one client type (IE Plug-in). Today we saw the same issue again with no open sessions and no active users on the server (see below - screen shots from the same time). Is there anything specific that we need to look for in the server settings or log files? The QVW document is around 40MB in size and updated every 4 hours using the QV Publisher (Standard) running on the same Windows 2003 box with 16GB RAM.

Not applicable
Author

Further monitoring of the Processes and CPU utilization points me to "mshta.exe". The CPU usage on this seems to match the performance charts that we have been seeing. From what I understand this file is used by HTML Applications.

Do you know if this is a file that's being used by any of the QVS components? We are running QVS and QV Publisher Standard on the same box.

Not applicable
Author

mshta.exe is the process used to open Qlikview Management console.

Rgds,

Sébastien

Not applicable
Author

Thanks. Sounds like the process is not being closed properly by the QV Management console. Is this a known problem or is there something specific in our environment that I need to look out for?

Appreciate your help.