Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Open-in-Server vs. Open vs. Browser

I know this is rather vague, but I'm seeing something weird,

A file document opened in QV looks and behaves significantly different than the same document 'opened-in-server' (or opened in the browser with the plug-in).

Specifically, I have a lot of things like

Sum({$<Year={"*"},Quarter{"*"},Month{"*"},QuarterName={$(=Max(QuarterName))}>} Num)

..that look fine when I open them but the server is giving wiggy results,

Is this ringing any bells? I'm at the beginning of this problem, and will add details as I discover them. Thanks.

9 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Maybe obvious but do you have any selection field macro or action executed on opening? Are both versions (plugin/client and server) the same?

Not applicable
Author

I need all the obvious help I can get! Smile

Version 9.00.7469.8 SR4 on QV,

On server it says the client build number is 9.0.7469.8

I don't see any on-open macros, but even if there were wouldn't they work the same?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Let's say on server opneing macros/actions don't behave as they do when opening in Desktop. According to the documentation and some experience, On Open macros don't seem to work when the document is accessed by plugin or ajax.

Are you using section access? If yes, may it be affecting the way values are entered in date fields?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Is your server 64bit and your desktop 32bit? Are you using the isNull() function in any expressions (you can search from Settings, Expression Overview).

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Server - 64 bit

Desktop - 32 bit

IsNull is being used, as follows:

=if(IsNull(BenchmarkPercent),'qmem://<bundled>/BuiltIn/led.png',If((median(Measurement))>BenchmarkPercent,'qmem://<bundled>/BuiltIn/led_r.png','qmem://<bundled>/BuiltIn/led_g.png'))

suniljain
Master
Master

may be possible that both server and IE plug in have different version .

In that situation you can get different result.

Not applicable
Author

I have some 'On Activate' actions set on the sheet, is this what you mean? They seem to be working, though...hey select values for a couple of fields.

I'm not sure what you mean by section access.

Sorry, but this document was put together by someone much more skilled than me, so my understanding is a little lacking.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

If the "On Activate" actions are working when you open the document on the server, I don't think that's the problem.

By section access I mean whether the user needs to log into the document (so the information finally displayed depends on the user, there is a Section Access in the script).

Rob's suggestion is good, sometimes using isnull() doesn't work properly with null values, and using instead

Len(Field) = 0
is more accurate to check when a value is not present.

In short, I'm trying to touch all possible known issues when opening on server or on desktop may alter document's behavior.

Not applicable
Author

I appreciate eliminating the known issues. They ain't known to me!

I replaced the IsNull with Len(field)=0, but it didn't change the results. There were only 2 instances there anyway...