Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pamaxeed
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Performance Issue

Hi all,

i have strange scenario at one of my customers.

We have setup a Qlikview Environment with a SBE Server:

- 32 GB RAM

- Multicore processor

We published a Qlikview App with a relative small amount of data, where the Fact Table has more less 1.000.000 of records.

There are SOME users when they performing a time based query in Qlikview, i.e. selection of multiple years, who have a severe performance issue, that means they have to wait between 15-30 sec. till the object and data are refreshed.

But launching the same query from other workstation's in Qlikview takes just 2 second of time. We are accessing it via Qlikview Ajax Client.

The server is not overloaded during the action:

- 10 Gigabyte of RAM are still available when we launch the query from that specific workstation

- Less CPU are used during the calculation

Somebody could give me a hint for further investigations I could make?

We have tried to use a laptop in that office with the same LAN connection and it works fast.

Are there some specific client requirements?

As far as the calculation and processing of the requests of the Client has be done by the Qlikview Server ....

Thanks,

Patric

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pamaxeed
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi,

just for Info the Performance Problem were related to the complex Expressions I had in the chart.

I moved the logic from GUI to Script and now it is much better.

Thanks to all,

Patric

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Which version of browser are your users using?

pamaxeed
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

We have tried with Microsoft IE 10 and with a recent version of Firefox I do not remember exactly which version it was.

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

If possible go to workstations with the issue and try different browsers

Another question, are any proxies involved?

pamaxeed
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

We already tried Chrome, Firefox and IE and all have the same behvaiour....about proxy i will ask the customer later on.

I will have a remote session today.

quwok
Creator III
Creator III

Another area would be the number of charts and objects on the screen when the selection is done.

Due to the way ajax works, it will not be as performant as the plugin. It seems that compared to the plugin, the Ajax client requires more of the data to be returned before the objects and charts can be rendered. Depending the complexity of the sheet, this can add up significantly.

pamaxeed
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Thanks, but as I stated above the issues is that  for some users it works fine with good response times and for other user the same query is indeed very slow....

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

In addition to possoble bandwidth issues, be aware that AJAX updates the display using javascript on the client side, responding to XML or JSON instructions sent from the server. The javascript performance will vary from client to client and from browser/version to browser/version.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Colin-Albert

Could cacheing explain some of the differences?

You make a new set of selections on a machine and the selection takes 15-30 sec as the selections are new and not cached; when you then test the same selections on another machine, the results are delivered from the cache so appear faster.

What version of QlikView are you using?

Is the slow performance related to table charts that display a large number of rows?

pamaxeed
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi,

thanks all for the replies.

I just had a remote session with the customer and I performed some tests.

As stated from Albert, I suspect the time differences in the response time were in fact that Qlikview has cached the result set.

Indeed the main issue of the slow response time is depending on the number of UI obeject displaying on the sheet.

I have tried to remove for testing purpose different charts and the performance were good. Thanks to Know Chong for the hint.

The original sheet has many different UI objects (pivot table, straight table, graphs and so on) which are hided and displayed using variable depending on the need of the enduser

I have a question regarding the calculation of each chart:

- Is the calculation be done also when the charts are hided?

- Instead if I minimize the objects it could help me to improve the response time, as I understood the calculation will be not performed for minimized objects....is that truth?

- What could help me to improve the performance ?

Thanks to all for the help!

I appreciate very much!

Patric