Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andre_ficken
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Personal license vs Licensed desktop

Hello fellow qlik enthousiasts,

I am running into a problem that I ran into before at other customers, but the case at hand is slightly different.

My customer runs qlik 12.2 November 2017 edition. A collection of Named and Document CALs. The reloads on the server ran beautifully and I was doing development work on the same machine which is fine, as long as you organize version management and reload schedules properly. A couple of weeks ago I created a Qlikmonitor dashboard for this customer as I have done before for other customers. It is basically a slightly modified version of the Qlikmonitor that is going around in the Qlik world using the server log files to visualize Qlik activity. After I finished the Qlik monitor install and reloaded it, it showed the data as expected and the system ran for another week until I got on site again and tried to open a dashboard (not the monitor) and I got the message as per the first attachment.

I did try to use the recovery 1 time, this happened to me before with another customer and the 1 time recovery resolved the issue at that time. But it did not in this case. I also got the message attached as attachment 2 and after entering the license code and control digit I got the second message in the top of attachment 2. I will be getting in touch with Qlik support in a little while, but I thought that I would post it here and update the post at the resolution of the issue.

Any advise or help is appreciated.

4 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you go on site, then why don't you just lease a license from the QlikView server that is present at the customers? Named CALs allow you to open any document.

If you cannot lease a customer CAL, there are two options:

• either use RDP to open a session on the customer QlikView server and launch QV Desktop overthere, then lease a license.
  • use one of your partner CALs.

Never rely on Personal Edition to create and/or recover documents at different business locations. And keep in mind that a simple network adapter switch may cause the QV Desktop installation on your laptop to lose a CAL you leased from your own server.

andre_ficken
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Peter,

Leasing a license on site is exactly what I used to do. I am always using RDP to work on the client server.

For some obscure reason the license details of the client serversl installed desktop was lost. I managed to get it back by clearing the license first and then re-entering the license details. Problem fixed and I have been able to work all day today without a glitch.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi André,

Do you mean to say that you reinstalled the QVS server license, and then leased a license again? Or are you using a local license in QV Desktop on your clients server? IMHO that's the only situation where you need to re-enter your license details in QV Desktop itself.

andre_ficken
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

No, I deleted the license from the desktop. I got the message there and could not get the license validated against the server, but deleting the license, opening a document and using a recovery option from that document got my license on the desktop re-instated and everything started working again.

For now problem solved and hopefully I do not have to do this again in future.