Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Possible Client for very weak PCs? Which one is most likely to work?

Hi,

we're going to roll out an app that I've developed here.

The issue is, one of the core functions of the app is reloading the script via a button from the GUI.

That one does not work in the Browser (AccessPoint) afaIk, so the users who shall have access to that one need the Client.

Now, most of the PCs we have on the shopfloor are quite old. They run XP, they have CPUs with approx. 1 Ghz and most have around 1GB of RAM.

I know that that is very little to run the Client. So I'm going to test it on one of the shopfloor PCs.

Maybe you can tell me which one is most likely to run  on that Hardware so I need to download only one or two, not all of them - installation must be done by IT, so I try to limit the options to test as much as possible from the start.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

if these apps only nearby middle-sized you will be not happy with the old machines whereas the CPU is not the main-problem. It's rather the RAM - windows + a security tool needs often alone 1 GB. But if you could extend the RAM to 4 GB it might work.

Maybe you could use an EDX trigger - see:

Using EDX in QlikView 11

Re: Trigger task from Big data

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Well, upgrading anything is not an option - not for me anyway. I have no say in expenses.

But I hear some of our PCs have been upgraded - the OS has been upgraded from XP to Win7 on some machines anyway, so I guess the PCs were necessarily also upgraded or replaced since I don't think Win7 would run on the old machines.

I will have a little walk through our plant one of these days and see for myself.

I have thought about the possibility of using a macro and EDX_triggers. That might be a possibility.

I will also have to consider some security_settings to prevent the users from moving things around and messing up the layout. I guess I will need to implement SA with the NTNAME.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Not applicable

Agree, EDX trigger would be best way to do this