Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Problems with join data from multiple databases!

hi folks

here i have problems with joining data from multiple databases, for example i wana join data in 5 different databases by YEAR, MONTH and ORGANIZATION

but the relations doesn't work well. the name of joining fields are same and even i use JOIN() function and i should say that each system individually works well but when i load them together the problem occurs...

plz help

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

I believe the basic answer to your question is to use the normal association behavior of QV. The word Join has a very specific meaning in QlikView, which is that you add data from some dataset to a table already loaded in QV. This has the effect of adding columns to a table. That is not what you generally want to do. Association on the other hand, means that you load the second dataset seperately, but QV knows that it is related to the first table based on association. QV assumes an association whenever the column/field in two tables has exactly the same name (case sensitive).

To solve your problem of linking a lot of different data, the solution is to carefully rename columns, so associations are created by QV between the tables based on the columns you want, but not on the ones you don't want. To remove an association, give the field a different name in one of the tables. Another technique is the careful use of the Qualify and Unqualify commands, so that nothing links by default, and you use unqualify to cause linking on just some fields.

I suggest you carefully uncomment load statements one at a time, making sure each one links exactly the way you want it to.

This document has been very helpfull to me, QV 8.5 Reference Manual, here:

http://ftp.qliktech.com/qvwebdownloads/Docs.asp

Look at Book I, Part IV.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
yblake
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Why use join ?

if data is the same from 5 sources, use "concatenate" ??

Not applicable
Author

Post your script here, and I will have a look at it for you.

Not applicable
Author

hmmm

"CONCATENATE" I didnt use it before! My script is very huge cuz i use script from 5 qvw files (that each one works properly) so using of it is very complicating

Not applicable
Author

tnx my friends

ok here is my QVW file, i make 3of systems az comment to reduce the file size

thank you for your help...

Not applicable
Author

I believe the basic answer to your question is to use the normal association behavior of QV. The word Join has a very specific meaning in QlikView, which is that you add data from some dataset to a table already loaded in QV. This has the effect of adding columns to a table. That is not what you generally want to do. Association on the other hand, means that you load the second dataset seperately, but QV knows that it is related to the first table based on association. QV assumes an association whenever the column/field in two tables has exactly the same name (case sensitive).

To solve your problem of linking a lot of different data, the solution is to carefully rename columns, so associations are created by QV between the tables based on the columns you want, but not on the ones you don't want. To remove an association, give the field a different name in one of the tables. Another technique is the careful use of the Qualify and Unqualify commands, so that nothing links by default, and you use unqualify to cause linking on just some fields.

I suggest you carefully uncomment load statements one at a time, making sure each one links exactly the way you want it to.

This document has been very helpfull to me, QV 8.5 Reference Manual, here:

http://ftp.qliktech.com/qvwebdownloads/Docs.asp

Look at Book I, Part IV.

Not applicable
Author

Eugene Im very thankful for your suggestion, i'll check out the documents

you know Eugene, this is be so complicated for me but i'll find a way for it.

and when its solved i'll share the solution here Wink

hamid

anitamelbye
Creator
Creator

Hi,

Just wondering if you found a solution. I have the same problem 🙂

Anita

anitamelbye
Creator
Creator

Never mind: CONCATENATE works 🙂