Qlik Community

QlikView Deployment

Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView Deployment.

Announcements
QlikView Fans! We’d love to hear from you.
Share your QlikView feedback with the product team… Click here to participate in our 5-minute survey.
Rules, plus terms and conditions, can be found here.
paul_w_routledg
Contributor II

Promoting QlikView Server Refresh Tasks to Production Environment

We are developing and testing a complex schedule of reload tasks for our many QVW applications and their data.

Obviously we are defining all of these tasks using the QlikView Management Console GUI. Our Server/publisher database is currently using XML files not a SQLServer DB.

My question is: Is there away to promote or copy this schedule from our development environment to UAT and then Production without having to re-key tasks through the GUI?

I have had a quick look at the XML 'database' in the Publisher\CommandCenter\QVPR subdirectiry and it is pretty daunting, filled with GUIDs and obviously there is no documentation from QlikView about any of this.

Has anyone developed a release process for this, would it be easier or what is the difference if we were using SQLServer to host the repository?

Any help appreciated

5 Replies
vgutkovsky
Honored Contributor II

Paul,

Yes, this can be somewhat daunting, but a lot less so once you understand what needs to be modified. If you folder structure is the same on both servers, it's really not all that bad. The following assumes a clean install on your production server (Server2) and all tasks set up on your development server (Server1). Unless you have separate license keys, don't license Server2 yet, because that will attempt to create a cluster and will corrupt your QVPR.

Step 1: Stop all services on Server2

Step 2: Rename the QVPR folder on Server2 to something else, and copy the QVPR folder from Server1 to Server2.

Step 3: Change all references to Server1 in the following files to Server2:

C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Publisher\CommandCenter\QVPR\DirectoryResource.xml
C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Publisher\CommandCenter\QVPR\DistributionService.xml
C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Publisher\CommandCenter\QVPR\DSCResource.xml
C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Publisher\CommandCenter\QVPR\QDSCluster.xml
C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Publisher\CommandCenter\QVPR\QlikViewServerResource.xml
C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Publisher\CommandCenter\QVPR\QVSCluster.xml
C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Publisher\CommandCenter\QVPR\QvWebServiceResource.xml

Step 4: Start all services on Server2 and stop all services on Server1.

Step 5: License Server2.

It's possible that I've missed a couple files, but that should do it I think. Test it out.

Regards,

Not applicable

I have servers licensed and running in multiple environments and want to migrate the QVPR from one to another. Besides the servername and the Distribution Service ID, is there anything else I need to be concerned about?

danielrozental
Honored Contributor II

There was an announcemt a few months back about NOAD supporting QlikView, it's seems to me like something they might be able to do.

http://www.noadbi.com/en/QlikView

leonardo_canal
New Contributor

Re: Promoting QlikView Server Refresh Tasks to Production Environment

Hi Vlad, do you find any automatic way to migrate from a QVPR to another? Could you please share your experience?  Thank you

Re: Promoting QlikView Server Refresh Tasks to Production Environment

You can migrate tasks from one environment to the other using the "Remote Management Services" in the QMC.

Remote Management Services ‒ QlikView

-Rob

Community Browser