I am configuring a new QV9 64-bit Enterprise Server (SR1 v9.0.7257.6)8 on a VMWare ESX virtual machine. The VM is running Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition SP2 on a Quad-Core AMD Opteron CPU and has 3.75GB RAM.
Yesterday I had the QEMC open to the Status\Tasks tab and had a task that had failed selected under the QDS tree. I left it unattended in that state for about an hour. When I came back to the server there was an error message to the affect of "not enough memory for this operation."
I thought that was odd considering that the machine is still being configured and is not being accessed by users at all. I opened Windows Task Manager to the Performance tab and the total Commit Charge was over 4GB. Switching to the Processes tab, I found an instance of iexplore.exe *32 running and holding well over 2GB of memory.
I closed the IE window containing QEMC and the memory usage dropped back to near its baseline number. I opened it back up to the same place and state as before while watching the Processes tab in Task manager. I have the Tasks tab set to "Automatic refresh of task list" and noticed that each refresh was bumping up the IE memory total by 3-4 MB per cycle. With the refresh running every 5 seconds, it obviously doesn't take long to eat up 3.75GB.
I have repeated the scenario (without letting it run to memory exhaustion) again this morning with the same result. I also noticed that if I select a task that has run successfully, the memory total still increases, but by a much smaller amount. Agan selecting the failed task bumps the increment back up to its previous level of 2-4GB per refresh. While composing this post I have watched the memory usage of the IE process increase by over 400MB.
Has anyone else noticed this? I have not upgraded the QVS to SR2 yet - is this addressed in that version?
Solved! Go to Solution.
The memory leak in QEMC (IE) is being looked at in the v11 track, and an eventual fix for it will be in that version, if a good solution is found. If that is ported to v9 and/or v10, we cannot answer at the moment, since it depends on the fix.
I've had some discussions with R&D about this and apparently it's been difficult to fix this specific issue in IE.
That is the information we've got at the moment.
Note: I believe that a workaround is to uncheck the "Automatic refresh" in the task overview.
Thanks Rob. I have since installed SR2, and the problem is still there, but to a much smaller degree. I had another episode where I left the Console open overnight and it ate up all the available memory, but it took much longer. It has obviously been addressed but not completely fixed.
I found a memory leak in SR2. I was loading a document every minute. That worked fine until a client connected to the server. At that point the memory started building up slowly -> slowly because the document was small I suspect. Eventually my machine would run out of memory. My OS and QV software were 32bit.
Anyway, my point is that SR2 has memory problems and probably not limited to just my "case". I've been told that SR3 fixes this. SR3 has just been publicly released.
There is currently an active investigation ongoing to fix the memory leak issues in QMC/QEMC. A fix was made in earlier SR's of v9, I believe it was SR3, that did decrease the leak to some extent. It is however present in SR5 still.