Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rothtd
Creator III
Creator III

QV 11 Clustering - same network sub-net/segment?

In the QV 11 Server Reference manual it states in section 15.6 that 'CALs require the QlikView Servers within a cluster to be within the same network sub-net/segment'. Can someone clarify for the if this requirement pertains to only those servers in your environment that are clustered or all servers in your environment. That is if you have 3 servers and only two are clustered, can the third server reside on a different sub-net?

Target Architecture-QVS Cluster.png

In the above diagram can the QVP server and NAS Storage reside on a different network sub-net from the clusterd QVS servers (assuming the the correct firewall rules are in place)? The reason would be the QVS cluster would be in a less secure location on the network while the rest of the environment would be in a more secure location.

Thanks in advance for your input!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think it's just the clustered servers (QVS) that should be on the same segment.

-Rob

View solution in original post

9 Replies
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Basically, you need a really good access times from the QlikView Servers to the storage.

Please find attached a document with more information on this.

If security is a concern perhaps you should consider splitting the webservers into their own boxes so that is in a DMZ.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think it's just the clustered servers (QVS) that should be on the same segment.

-Rob

rothtd
Creator III
Creator III
Author

@Daniel - thanks I had reviewed the document prior to posting, and I appreciate you insight.

rothtd
Creator III
Creator III
Author

@Rob - thanks for the response!

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

I believe the requirement is for the QVS and the storage to be in the same segment.

If you want a recommendation I would just try to get everything on the same segment or at least make sure network connection is really good or else you could end up with a really slow management console for files with big shared files.

rothtd
Creator III
Creator III
Author

As a follow up the QVP box in the diagram is on one network segment, the storage space on another, and the QVS servers on yet another (but they are both on the same segment). Everything is working fine.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Would you mind sharing some specifics on what NAS / Storage are you using? Is everything still running fine?

rothtd
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Sure, it's actually not NAS. It's a 'Microsoft file share that is clustered between 2 nodes for failover'. I don't think QlikTech officially supports NAS. I had two QT technical reps tell me to ensure the share is being served up through the windows OS - and that they don't like network appliances (NAS) types of storage currently. So, basically just a network share on a Windows OS box (that is dedicated for this purpose - it has no QlikView services on it). I have had no issues with this to my knowledge yet. I did speak to some peers who put thier equivalent of this storage on one of their QVS servers - and discovered quickly a single point of failure.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Thanks