cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fabio_vallone
Creator
Creator

QV 12 Windows Server 2012 ODBC Issue

Good afternoon. I recently migrated QlikView 11.20 to version 12, from a Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine to a Windows Server 2012 virtual machine. However, I had problems with the connection speed with the Oracle database (ODBC connection with Oracle 9). We had to return to the server with Windows 2008; we will try again, this time configuring Qlikview Server in the November 2018 SR1 release; is there any specific configuration that must be made so that the ODBC connection does not lose its loading speed? (In Oracle database connection test with SQLDeveloper program, the connection speed was normal, it was only slow when running the connection through Qlikview). Is there any tip or suggestion to avoid this loss of speed in our migration? Thanks for the help. Hugs.

Labels (1)
4 Replies
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

The best thing I could advise you to do is open a case with Oracle Support to help you troubleshoot things, as they are the experts on their DB Connector.  If they find that we are doing something 'bad' on our side, then I would definitely ask you to open a Support Case with us such that we can get that information to the engineers. 

That being said, I would be more inclined to think it is not likely the DB Connector but something in the NIC configuration of the new virtual server, if the virtual NIC on the VM is under heavy use on the VM host machine, that would be the most plausible explanation of the issue.  Having the VM team help diagnose throughput on the VM NIC is likely the best way to start on this one I would venture and proceed from there based upon what you see.

Be sure the new VM has all resources allocated on boot as well, dynamic assignment of CPU and memory is going to be problematic for us, we need the resources you want to be available to be there when the VM boots up given our need for those resources most of the time.  That is all the easy things of which I can think to check here, hopefully helps a little.  Oh, be sure the VM Host they moved you to with the new server had comparable CPU/Memory core/bus speeds as the old server as well.  One common thing that is missed too is ensuring the Windows Control Panel Power Options setting on the VM is set to High Performance option as well to ensure we can get max performance out of the cores and memory. 

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
fabio_vallone
Creator
Creator
Author

Hello, Brett.

Thanks for informations. I will try these points first. Hugs

insanwwl
Contributor II
Contributor II

Please check the Fetch Buffer Size in Win2008 OS server vs the Win2012 OS Server. If matches, you try increasing the Buffer Size to 128000 and see if its resolves the issue. 

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/ADFNS/adfns_odbc.htm#ADFNS1159

Fetch Buffer Size

Set the Fetch Buffer Size in the Oracle Options tab of the Oracle ODBC Driver Configuration Dialog Box to a value specified in bytes. This value determines how many rows of data at a time the ODBC Driver prefetches from an Oracle database to the client's cache, regardless of the number of rows the application program requests in a single query, thus improving performance.

Applications that typically fetch fewer than 20 rows of data at a time improve their response time, particularly over slow network connections or to heavily loaded servers. Setting this too high can worsen response time or consume large amounts of memory. The default is 64,000 bytes. Choose a value that works best for your application.

fabio_vallone
Creator
Creator
Author

Hello Insanwwl, thanks for reply, i tried 128000 but still slow... it seems to have an latency time during ODBC conection. We are investigating network configurations of the Virtual Machine.