Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lindbergkarlsta
Partner - Contributor III

QV migration strategy

Dear friends

My customer want to migrate current QV 11.2 running on Win server 2008 to a virtualized environment.

Would you recommend to deploy an image of current environment or perform a fresh installation on Win server 2012 and then migrate QV according to "QV 11 Upgrade and Migration Document.pdf"? I guess the first alternative is a shortcut if everything goes as planned.

BR/Johan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
adamdavi3s
Master
Master

Personally I would create a new system and migrate, much cleaner way of working IMHO.

Obviously be very careful with the virtualisation settings as these can have a large impact on the application.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
adamdavi3s
Master
Master

Personally I would create a new system and migrate, much cleaner way of working IMHO.

Obviously be very careful with the virtualisation settings as these can have a large impact on the application.

stabben23
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hello my friend

What I remember is that Win 2008 and Win 2012  have different installation pack. So a New installation is to prefere.

But to switch to a virtualized enviorment is to go in the wrong direction.

lindbergkarlsta
Author

Hi Adam & Staffan and thanx for valuable inputs.

I've scanned the Community and it seems that you are right Adam that they should go for a fresh installation and migration.

When it comes to virtualization I noticed it is fully supported by Qlik an seems quite usual nowadays. The advantages of a flexible utilization of disk, RAM and CPU are quite obvious. It would be of great interest to hear experiences from others that are running QV on virtual Environments.

adamdavi3s
Master
Master

It is fully supported with the correct settings, however it still takes some tweaking to get working properly, dedicated CPU allocation is the one thing we found key.

We're actually about to move back to a blade from a VM, however that is due to our max cores in the licensing.

We've not had any real issues with VM at all, just need to ramp up the number of cores! The trade off of course is that it messes up our recovery plans.