cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbaksa_1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

QV11.2 to QV12 Licensing

I'm planning an upgrade from 11.2 to 12, I want to stand up a temporary development environment and thought I would use my test license for Server / Publisher on the new server. My plan is to disable services on my current test server while testing 12 and then reverse the process when production development is required during this time frame.

Once I license the QV 12 services on the new server is the current license affected in anyway? Is it still compatible with 11.2. when disable services on QV12 and restart services on 11.2

I have a lot of content deployed to users and I need to confirm all QV applications are working on 12 before taking the leap to upgrade my clustered environment. I looked  at the Upgrade and Migration documentation and it is sparse on detail at best.

Any additional documentation or advise would be appreciated.

Thank You in Advance,

Dan

6 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

As long as you don't use the same license in a running QlikView environment twice, this should work. Keep in mind that to use an existing 11.2 liocense in a 12.xx environment, you should have an active maintenance contract. Or your license may have been locked in the 11.2 series.

If you want to be sure about this delicate license issue, contact your QlikView Partner. They will be happy to assist.

dbaksa_1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thank You!

Our licensing is active and maintenance is up to date. Once I apply licensing to QV 12 services it will still be compatible with 11.2 if I understand your response correctly. I understand it cannot be running simultaneous on both servers.

I will reach out to my QV partner as advised 

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Indeed. Activating a license on QV10, QV11 or QV12 doesn't change the license.

A single license cannot be used on two running QlikView installations. You'll have to shutdown one of them before starting the other one. It doesn't matter which one is active at a certain point in time.

dbaksa_1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thank You!!

I was looking at a Qlik Upgrade and Migration document and was not sure when reading the section on Update Certificates that something different wasn't happening when migrating to 12.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Ok. On the other hand, the same on-line Upgrade-and-Migration page doesn't mention in any way that licenses are affected, so I shoudn't worry about them.

If you want to be absolutely sure, make a backup copy of the Server LEF file on the 11.20 machine. That file contains everything included in your license, so if you keep the LEF in a safe place, you won't need any outside license information.

Good luck,

Peter

dbaksa_1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Got It!! I have full backups and images of machines affected. I will pull the LEF files off to the side just in case.

Thank You,

Dan