cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3iuk
Creator
Creator

QV9 AccessPoint - Setting up a Local Account for Login

We are using version 9 with QlikView's own web server (i.e. not IIS).

Our QlikView server is in a domain, and users who have logins within the domain can use the AccessPoint without any problems.

We have some colleagues in another part of the company who need to have access to the AccessPoint but who currently do not have accounts in our domain. When they try to use the AccessPoint, they are prompted to enter a username and password.

I have tried creating a local account on the QlikView server and using that account to get access without success. I've tried entering <qv server name>\<local account username> in the username field. After several attempts, the account gets set to locked out on the server.

I've tried adding the account to both the administrators and QlikView administrators groups without success.

Short of getting domain accounts set up for these users, does anybody know what I need to do to get this local account to work?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

I'm not sure how you will get this to work like this. I suspect that the problem is with the Directory Service Connector which is running under an Account that can access your Domain's Active Directory. This account may not have access to, or be able to access anyway, the local SAM database.

I think that your best option, without having to go down the route of changing to DMS authentication, is to just create limited User accounts on your domain.

Stephen

View solution in original post

12 Replies
stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

I'm not sure how you will get this to work like this. I suspect that the problem is with the Directory Service Connector which is running under an Account that can access your Domain's Active Directory. This account may not have access to, or be able to access anyway, the local SAM database.

I think that your best option, without having to go down the route of changing to DMS authentication, is to just create limited User accounts on your domain.

Stephen

r3iuk
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the quick reply. The DSC service is running under the local administrator account and not a domain account.

We may as you said, have to bite the bullet and get some domain accounts set up for these users.

r3iuk
Creator
Creator
Author

I've tried switching the security mode from NTFS to DMS, then setting up authorisation for a document to allow anonymous access. A domain user can still see the document OK, but not a non-domain user. I even tried giving explicit access authorisation to the local administrator account, but again unsuccessful when entering the local administrator's credentials at the login prompt.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

You can setup users on the local server and give them access to the documents. You have to setup a new directory service for the local machine in publisher. Once this is done when you add users to the document you should see the domain directory service and the local machine directory service and they you would pick the users from both.

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
r3iuk
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks bbt, that sounds like what I need. Is how to do this documented anywhere?

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

yes, the reference manual for the products are installed as you install the products. you should be able to find them at c:\Program Files\QlikTech\Documents

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
r3iuk
Creator
Creator
Author

I've already read the server manual from there but it gives little or no guidance on how to add new directory services. However I have tried the following:

1. Opened the Enterprise Management Console and gone to the System tabe

2. Expanded the Directory Services tree and found 4 nodes: Active Directory; Custom Directory; Local Directory; Windows NT

3. In the Local Directory on the General tab, I added a new path and chose the default: local://<server name>. In the username & password fields I entered the credentials for the local administrator account, then clicked on apply.

4. I restarted all the QlikView services

I now can login anonymously from a non domain PC but when clicking on the login link on the AccessPoint page, and entering a local user/password I still can't get logged on as that user.

Not applicable

Hi:

Have you tried to enable users in this screen?

r3iuk
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Juan,

Yes, the user has been set up there. Still no luck.