Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

QVS 11 SR2 Distribution Engine Limitations

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading through the QlikView Server 11 SR2 release notes and found that QlikTech has stated some architectural information regarding Distribution Engine Limitations (actual text below). I am currious if other QV server managers have been experiancing problems like the ones I detailed below. I have the ability to add additional CPUs to my server, and possibly increase my engines for distribution, but I don't know how much I stand to gain.

I am running a QlikView Server 11 SR1 setup for PROD & DEV servers where my PROD & DEV QlikView servers have 8 Cores between all CPUs. We experiance issues with running 8 Engines for Distribution where reload tasks fail for odd reasons and it has been a long process to diagnose these issues. While our servers have 8 CPU-Cores we tested running with 7 Engines (-1) and 6 Engines (-2). Operating with 6 Engines (-2) was the only way we could maintain stability. otherwise we would have 0-10 failures per day during reloads where all distribution engines were engaged.

With the architecture langage regarding the distribution engines in SR2, we're hoping that we can gain a distribution egnine 8 - 1 = 7 for my deployment. And if we purchase an additional CPU to add cores, we would hopefully be able to go up past 8 distribution engines with a max of -1 to our CPU-Cores.

1. 3.5 QlikView Server, QlikView Publisher and Management Consoles

·         “Due to a limitation associated with using Microsoft’s COM objects we recommend that you limit the number of QlikView Engines (QlikView Enterprise Management Console >> Setup >> Distribution Services >> Advanced tab) to a maximum of 9 or the number of processor cores available on the host server -1, whichever is lower.”

T

TThank you

Travis

4 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You'll want to apply the desktop heap registry mod referenced here http://community.qlik.com/message/250402#250402

This has corrected stability problems for me when running 6+ engines.

Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Note that if you're on Windows Server 2008 the desktop heap has been increased already

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2008/03/20/the-default-interactive-desktop-heap-size-has...

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Johannes,

The interactive desktop heap has been changed, but isn't the significant recommendation to change the non-interactve heap value -- the third parameter?

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Ah, you might be right there Rob.

For Windows Server 2K8 x64

768 KB = Non-interactive desktop heap size