Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QVServer integration with a Desktop app

I originally posted this in the Integration forum but got only one response pointing me to qvsconnector.com so I'm re-posting the question here. I apologize if this isn't an appropriate form but I couldn't find a forum that seems to address the topic of integrating QVServer into a desktop application.

If there is a more appropriate forum, please let me know.

I would like to build a desktop application that, among other things, accesses and displays and interacts with qvw files on a QlikView Server/Publisher installation much in the manner that QlikView Desktop allows access to server supplied qvw files.

SInce the QV Desktop can do it ... I know it is possible. I just am not sure where to find the appropriate APIs and objects.

What do I use within my application?

Do I install an instance of the QlikView OCX in a child window and use OCX APIs to communicate to the QlikView Server?

Any pointers to appropriate QV documentation would be appreciated.

6 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Have you looked at the QlikView WorkBench?

Not applicable
Author

I was under the impression that workbench only allowed you to create Web applications. I am interested in desktop (Windows) application. But I have found the WB 10.0 manual and download and check it out.

Thanks.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

I think the OCX is what you are looking for. However, I think you have to be license as an OEM partner to use it.

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

We are an OEM partner currently using the OCX with our desktop application ... but we've heard that the OCX is being deprecated .. so we are wondering how one builds a desktop application that uses the QV Server after the OCX is deprecated and no longer supported.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The OCX does not interact with QV Server. It allows you to interact with QVW files, so you can open them, refresh them, filter them, change the design of them etc.

Is it the case that you want to have an application running on a Server that manipulates QVWs so that they are then available for users? If this is the case we have been trying to do seomething similar. We want to open QVWs, export charts to Excel and email out these Excel files to users. QV Publisher can email PDFs but not Excel files. And we want all of this to be done on a scheduled basis, i.e. there will be no real user with a screen displaying whatever our application and the OCX are doing.

We have found that you cannot have a headless application of this type, you cannot call the OCX (or the QliKView Object Library available in the QV.EXE binary) without a screen destination for the gui components.

If you do find a way to achieve this please let us all know.

Not applicable
Author

We have an "almost headless" application that merely sits in the Windows task tray, has a timer, wakes up and uses the OCX on "local" files, i.e. does NOT use a QVServer but rather locates files using a filespec (c:\...) or UNC (\foo\bar). At night we open the file, do a reload, close the file so that during the day users have access to the latest information. It does NOT have a windows interface that the user interacts with even though it is a "windows application". I don't know if this solves your problem.

My orignial question was about using a desktop application on machine A to connect to QlikView Server on machine B and open files "on the QlikView Server" ... but of course the files that are available to the QlikView Server do not necessarily have to be physically on the same machine B.

I have been told it is possible to do this using the OCX. If we want to manipulate the QlikView server then we use the QMS API.