Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView Enterprise Server: Hosting QV applications

I'm a little confused with the licensing structure of QlikView Enterprise Server.

Can I host as many QV applications (QVW's) as I want? or is there a licensing link and/or restriction between my QVW's and the QlikView Enterprise Server?

For example,

I have 3 QVW applications that I want clients to access via Ajax. All my clients have a CAL.

Can they access all 3 applications? or would they be restricted to one QV application per CAL? If so, they would need 3 CAL's to access the 3 QV Applications.

Any insight to the licensing restrictions/limitation with QlikView Enterprise Server would be great.

7 Replies
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

If the CAL is a Named CAL then one user can open as many QVW applications as they like. If the CAL is a Document CAL then one named user can open just one named QVW application. If the CAL is a Session CAL then one anonymous user can open any one QVW application.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

So the CAL is the only restriction on the number of QVW's that a client can access?

Effectively, i can host as many QVW's on Enterprise Server as i like?

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Edit: You can always host as many QVW's as you want on a server. The question is who can open them and that is controlled by the CAL.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Karl.

What type & number of CALs would you suggest for the following theoretical situation:

• Using QlikView Enterprise Server
  • 2 QlikView Developers
  • 3 CEO's/Managers
  • 50 Users accessing 1 main QVW but this could expand to possibly 3 QVW's in 12 months

Keeping in mind I dont want to minimise User restrictions.

Could you take an approximate guess at the cost of the different CALs? Just to give me something to start with.

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Take time to read the following post.

http://community.qlik.com/forums/t/36073.aspx

The 50 users might be a good candidate for document cals which are more economical than a Named CAL as long as the user doesn't use more than, say, 4 document CALs. Of course, that number depends on the QlikView price list.

I really can't give you a price since that depends on the region and the lastest price list, to which I don't have access.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Good link, thanks.

What do you mean by "as long as the user doesn't use more than, say, 4 document CALs"?

Does this mean that users need 1 document CAL per QVW and that once you need more than 4 Document CALs its more economical to get a Named CAL.

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Yes, you are correct.