Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andre_andersson
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

QlikView server - cannot open Service Control Manager

Hi,

I have a two server setup, one back end (QMS, QDS) and one front end (QVS, QVWS, DSC). Everything is working fine except I cannot restart the QVS from the back end machine after making changes in Management Console (errormsg attached). Both machines are running WindowsServer2016 and QV12.1 SR8. The serviceaccount is local admin on both and is added to the QlikViewAdministrators group. Thankful for any ideas!

/André

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
freinholdson
Partner - Contributor III

I found the issue. The firewall had been changed by someone. The "Remote Service Management" firewall rules needs to be enabled in order for the QMS to be able to restart the QVS. In my case  I needed all of these three rules enabled: (NP-In), (RPC) and (RPC-EPMAP). Try to enable those in your Windows Firewall.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Most probably because the service account on the back-end server tries to restart a service on the front-end server and hasn't got the necessary permissions to do so.

The easiest technique to sovle your current and all future service account permissions problems is to switch to a domain account and add it to the local Administrators groups on both machines.

andre_andersson
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

I'm not sure it's a permission issue. The service account is already a domain account and is already added to the local administrators group on both machines. Could it be a firewall issue? Or some perhaps UAC in Windows Server?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Sorry, my mistake. I thought that with "The serviceaccount is local admin on both.." you meant to say that you were using local administrators.

Do you find any mention of this failure in the Event logs?

andre_andersson
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

No, nothing in the event logs that I can find. This has to be a windows issue so I hope the customers IT department can sort this out. If I get a reply from them, I'll make sure to post it here.

freinholdson

@andre_andersson Did you find a solution to this? I am having the same problem...

andre_andersson
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Sorry, we still have this issue. The customer is migrating to Qlik Sense so we chose not to pursue this further.

freinholdson

OK, too bad, thanks for your reply though!

I think it has something to do with certificates not being properly migrated from the QMS server to the other server. Are you running the servers with certificate trust instead of the qlikview administrators group?

andre_andersson
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

No problem! We're running with QlikView administrators group so certificates aren't the issue in my case.

freinholdson

I found the issue. The firewall had been changed by someone. The "Remote Service Management" firewall rules needs to be enabled in order for the QMS to be able to restart the QVS. In my case  I needed all of these three rules enabled: (NP-In), (RPC) and (RPC-EPMAP). Try to enable those in your Windows Firewall.