Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview Personal Edition Problem after Windows Update

Dear all,

I was forced to upgraded my Windows from 7 to 10. Unfortunately I wasnt able to just upgrade, I had to do a complete new installation of windows 10.

After that I reinstalled Qlikview and tried to open the files I created... which did not work. (Some Message about that the files were created from another user and that I am only allowed to open my own files).

I know that files are attached to the computer somehow... I just thought that the files would recognise me ...

Also what I dont understand.. as far as I know I have 4 tries to convert files from other users into my files... but the error message I got said that all (4) tries have been used. But I have never tried to open files from another user...

Does anyone know how I can access my files? It was a lot of work which would be lost now...

Please help me out here!

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

The problem is that you did a new installation of Qlikview. That means it has a new license key too. And because of that you can't open qvw documents you created with your previous Qlikview installation. Those were created with another license key. That's also why you get the message about files created by another user. To Qlikview any installation with another license key means 'another user'.

If you have a backup of your harddisk from the Windows 7 time then you can try to extract the AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikView folder of your user from that backup. Remove (or rename) the same folder of your current installation and replace it with the files from the backup. If that doesn't work then the only way to access your old qlikview documents again is to get a standalone desktop license or lease a user cal license from a Qlikview Server installation.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Dear Gysbert,

thanks for your comment.

I still have a "Windows.old" Folder, which contains all the old programms etc. from the previous Windows.

I found the QlikView folder you mentioned, unfortunately every subfolder was empty. I also noticed that the settings file has a new date... does the new Qlikview installation delete the old folders in the Windows.Old directory?

Or are the files hidden somewhere?

I need actually only 1 file (which contains most of the formulas) back... there must be a way without to buy a license... its just 1 file...

Thanks four your help.

Cheers

Gysbert_Wassenaar

I don't think the Windows.old folder is of any use. The settings are stored in the users AppDate folder. If you clear the QlikTech folders then Qlikview should create a new settings.ini file. That should also allow you to use a recovery to open your 1 file to retrieve the formulas. You can also try loading data the .qvw file by treating it as an xml source file. You should be able to recover variables and expressions that way. Or perhaps an easier alternative is the Document Analyzer qvw. Iirc it has an embedded license so that it can be used with Qlikview PE.

Not applicable
Author

I found the old AppDate Folder (but in Local instead of Roaming) and copied the files.

Now I saw my history of filkes in Qlikview (recently opened files).

I do not receive the message about that the files were created from another user anymore! But now Qlikview tells me that I do not have any tries left to recover my files... (although I never recovered any files as I wrote earlier). After that I get the error message "failed to open document".

In addition to that I get the same error when I create a new file and try to open it later! It seems now that I am not allowed to do anything with Qlikview.

Deleting the settings.ini file did not change anything...

Not applicable
Author

When I delete the Qliktech Folders again I am able to create new files and open them afterwards.

Unfortunately the document analyzer does not allow me to analyse the old files with the error I got in the first place (Some Message about that the files were created from another user and that I am only allowed to open my own files).

That looked like some help at first...

Trying to open the qvw with notepad doesnt help... it looks really bad... how else can I tread the file like an xml file?

Thanks again!

Cheers

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Open Qlikview and then open the script editor. Then click the Table Files button to open the File Wizard. Next choose 'All Files' for the Files of Type setting. Then browse to your qlikview document and open it. Next choose XML as file type. Then click Finish to generate the load statements. The tables you're probably most interested in are Expression and VariableDescription.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

We also have to do an inplace upgrade for Windows 10.

In this article we find a lot of tips, but what is best practice for QlikView PE with a clean install for Windows 10?