Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview Personal Edition Sharing with a licensed .qvw

I have a user with the Personal Edition and I'm trying to share one of my apps (.qvw) which I created as a licensed user.  When the user tries to open even on the first try he gets the following error:

This QlikView document was created by another QlikView Personal Edition user or on another computer.  As a QlikView Personal Edition user, you may only open files that you have created on this computer.  This QlikView document has been recovered more times than is allowed by your QlikView Personal Edition license.  You may continue to use QlikView with your Personal Edition license to create and modify other files.

I thought that we were able to share an app at least one time with a user that has the Personal Edition so they could see if this was a useful app?  What can I do to get him a copy of the app to view one time so he can see if he wants to support this app?  Thanks!

6 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

A Qlikview Personal Edition installation can open (recover) a document created by another Qlikview installation four times. After those four recoveries have been used up he can only open documents created since. Each time a recovery is used the license key of the QV Personal installation changes and previous created document can't be opened without using another recovery.

If your user wants to open your document he will have to use up one recovery if the limit of four hasn't been used up. If they are used up he will need to reinstall Qlikview Personal Edition. Preferably after also removing the Qlikview folders in the users AppData folder.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Would he be alllowed to open that .qvw and then save as something else to make it his own?  Or would the system still want to recover the four times no matter if he does a save as or not?  What I don't understand is it never even gave him the option to use one of his recoveries, it just gave him that message above the very first time??  So I'm guessing that he needs to try and reinstall and remove all traces of the app, is that correct?

Greg_Williams
Employee
Employee

The QlikView Personal Edition is intended to provide a license-free experience and "test drive" of QlikView. It is not intended to be used commercially for a team of users. Personal Editions are restricted to thwart the very activity of sharing numerous qvw files without buying a Named CAL. There is a small business model which might be just right for your organization.

The sharing of qvws by installing, uninstalling, ... repeating...is a nuisance and eventually people end up purchasing a license.

Not applicable
Author

We actually have licenses and have invested quite a bit with Qlik.  We just wanted to share a demo app with one of our areas that does not use Qlik to try and get them involved and to buy into using the licensed version.  So we have a demo app that we just want the manager to view so that we can get his input.  We fully plan on publishing the app but just did not want to give this user a license until we were sure he would want to use the app.  So that is why we were wanting him to just test-drive the app for a limited time.  Any thoughts?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

If you have a Qlikview Server installation with Named User cals available you could enable license leasing, assign him a Named User cal and let him lease a license for 30 days. See this document for more information: QlikView License Leasing

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Greg_Williams
Employee
Employee

Karla - Yes. I see. I agree 100% with Gysbert. If available - consider using License Lease to let the Mgr. lease a license for 30 days. It will automatically get returned back to the pool of licenses when they stop using it for a period of 30 days of inactivity. OR - you can assign the Mgr. a Named CAL for a temporary period. OR, you can reach out to your Account Mgr. and ask for a temporary license for 15 days (something like that) so that your Mgr can see the app and play with it. Just some suggestions.