Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shayan
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Qlikview QVW and QVD data storage

Dear experts,

I'm new in QlikView/Qlik Sense. So, I describe our scenario to find out the best practice.

We will use QlikView to create dashboards with tables and graphs. As data source we will simply use .CSV files. These .csv files will be updated  during the time (records can be added or modified). I noticed that there are two main types of file in QlikView (QVW and QVD). Based on our scenario I wanted to ask:

1- Which type of file  (QVW or QVD) can we use to achieve this goal? (considering .csv files that will be updated continuously)

2- From storage point of view, which is the difference between QVW and QVD.

Thank you very much,

Shayan

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

QVW is the QlikView application. That is, it loads the data and displays sheets and charts.  QVDs are "QlikView Data Files".  QVDs are like csv files but in a proprietary format. 

So no, you cannot choose between QVW and QVD.  You must always create a QVW to have an application that users interact with.  That QVW can load it's data from csv, QVD or both. 

-Rob

View solution in original post

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Using the CSV files as a data source is perfectly okay to do, but you may want to look into QVDs as your dataset grows.

Here is some more information on QVD files and what their purpose is.

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

QVW is the QlikView application. That is, it loads the data and displays sheets and charts.  QVDs are "QlikView Data Files".  QVDs are like csv files but in a proprietary format. 

So no, you cannot choose between QVW and QVD.  You must always create a QVW to have an application that users interact with.  That QVW can load it's data from csv, QVD or both. 

-Rob

shayan
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Hello Rob,

Thanks for the answer, now is clear for me.

So, if I understand well, we can have two possible ways:

• Use CSV files as data source.
  • Use QVD as data source.

Which is the best way to adopt? As I said our csv files will be updated continuously and record may be added or updated.

Thanks

Shayan

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Using the CSV files as a data source is perfectly okay to do, but you may want to look into QVDs as your dataset grows.

Here is some more information on QVD files and what their purpose is.

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂