Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
obriened83
Creator
Creator

Qlikview Server Hangs And Then Is Forced To Restart

Hi

We are having an issue where the Qlikview Server hangs and then is forced to restart.

During the 10-15 minutes of hanging, the Server CPUs goes crazy.

Also we get an error message if an application is reloading stating the following:

'Exception=System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond'

The problem lies in one of our QlikView Application. I believe
that when a QlikView application passes a certain volume of data, the
application does not behave as it should.

Our application’s data structure is made up of
multiple tables. (please see below)

Qlikview Data Structure.jpg

I can replicated the above issue when I select dimensions that represent different
granularities of data, for example selecting  BIR Flag in the Bet
Table
, Event in
the Selection Table, Affiliate Name in the Customer
Table
and a Date Time dimension.

The application is roughly around 800 million rows. I would greatly appreciate it

if someone could tell me why this happens and what I can do to remedy it.

Thanks very much.

Kind Regards

Eamonn

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
obriened83
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Manoj Kumar

Thanks again for the advice above. We figured out the issue was caused by a number of factors.

1) NUMA on our Servers was enabled which caused the Sever Instability

2) I modified the Application in question to amalagnate the tables into one major fact table.

If you have any queries with the above I would be more than happy to help.

Thanks very much.

Kind Regards

Eamonn

View solution in original post

4 Replies
manojkvrajan
Luminary
Luminary

Is there any other process excluding QlikView running in the server? Did you try to open the application with pre-selected filter values?

obriened83
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Manoj Kumar

Thanks for getting back to me on this. The Server is a dedicated Qlikview Server with 40 Cores and 512 GBs of RAM. The document to opens with no pre-selected filters.

Thanks

Eamonn

manojkvrajan
Luminary
Luminary

CPU spike is primarily due to the computation involved in QlikView. 10-15 minutes for the qvw to open in your server really concerns me a lot. You should definitely think about data model and UI optimization by understanding the application usage by the users. This is more of a strategic solution and will take more time.

However from the tactical standpoint, you can try the following things to get rid of the Exception.

1) Reduce the application with limited data based on the time period (or calendar period)

2) Split the fact tables based on the subject area instead of having 800million rows in one or two fact tables (as captured in the data model. Sorry the data model pic is not clear).

3) Break the application into various subject area and chain them using document chaining

obriened83
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Manoj Kumar

Thanks again for the advice above. We figured out the issue was caused by a number of factors.

1) NUMA on our Servers was enabled which caused the Sever Instability

2) I modified the Application in question to amalagnate the tables into one major fact table.

If you have any queries with the above I would be more than happy to help.

Thanks very much.

Kind Regards

Eamonn