Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview Server and Power Users

Hello there, hope someone can advise, or at least point me in the right direction...

We have recently got Qlikview Server 9 up and running with a SBE licencce, with a number of document CAL licences and a number of user CAL licences.

We have developed a number of applications using Qlikview Desktop and have deployed these to the server, users can connect through the access point and use the documents successfully. Which is all good.

We are now at the stage where we are looking at giving a number of users in the business Power User rights, and I'd like some advice on the best way to do this. We do not have a Qlikview Publisher licence, though I'm not compeletely sure whether this affects the management of power users or not.

What we would like to do is to give certain users the ability to create charts, tables, add sheets to documents and then save the changes to the server.

When I access a document on a server (using the plug in) and look at the New Sheet Object option it's greyed out, as are the options when I select Menu > New Sheet Object.

Can someone advise as to the best way to go about this, and what my next step should be?

Many Thanks

Matt

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

You cannot modify a document through the plugin.

To amend one, you need to use the Qlikview client - the good news is that with v9 there is the concept of leased licencing where a user has a named CAL at the server. You would need to install the client to the individual user machine, tell it where it should lease the licence from (see under User Preferences - ctrl&alt&u under the locations tab) and then enable the user to be able to see the folder on the server where the documents are stored. Opening the document with the client then allows the user to modify the document and save it back. Oh, and the server should be set to allow licence leasing (QMC>Licences>CALs).

Other than that, you would have to give access to the server to the user who could use remote desktop connection to use the QV client installed there but I think this would be less preferable.

Controlling multiple accesses might be an issue though if you have several people amending the same document.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

Hi Matt,

as far as I know, this is not a technical issue. Its a question of licences. You are using only a SBE Server. With an EE Server you can do exactly all these things (ie. defining server object via web-client) you described.

Sorry, thats all.

Best Regards

Roland

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gordon. I shall try that out tomorrow.

So combining your reply and Roland's would i be right in thinking that if we did upgrade to the EE users would be able to create their own objects in certain documents on the server without their own QV installation?

Matt

Not applicable
Author

Also, can you limit what they can change when they have downloaded the doc... for example, let them create charts but protect the script?

Matt

Not applicable
Author

Matt,

The feature you're referring to is called "collaboration". It states on page 219 of the QlikView Server manual that collaboration is disabled for SBE. You indeed would need EE to allow end users to create their own objects.

Another thing to note - collaboration doesn't allow users to actually modify the source application. All it does is "overlay" user created charts onto the application sheets. These objects can be private, or the user can share them with other users. You definitely can't change the load script or reload with collaboration. Collaboration allows users to create charts, bookmarks, and reports.

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

There is a way in section access to define the type 'Users' to users that you the then limit certain things like accessing the script window. The users type 'Admin' modify what the 'Users' can do or cannot do in Document Properties->Security.

It might be easier to create a QV file with just the script and then another QV file with charts that load the other QV file with a binary load. You only give the user access to the QV file with charts and although the user can enter into the script window, there is only one line of script to load the script from another QV file.

Regards.