Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
himanshi
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlikview Upgrade

Hello,

We are using the Qlikview 11 version in our Organisation. We would like to upgrade our server as there is Only 1 server (Production Server) is being utilized for both development and consumption of reports. Current Production server RAM is 120 GB with 8-core processor.

QlikView Server resource (CPU/RAM) utilization is very high. There is a need to upgrade the resources.

Below are some other details.

• Platform – QlikView 11.20 (45 Named Cal and 150 Doc Cal).
  • Database – Multiple SQL Servers, AX D365 and Excel Files
  • Around 30 final QlikView Applications.
  • Raw Data Size – Around 120 GB
  • we have created these reports for their internal users of different departments.
  • All Named and Doc Cals are getting actively utilized by all the users with concurrency of around 15-20 users

Can you please let us know the best practice to upgrade our QlikView environments?

Do we really need to buy a new Test server with Enterprise edition or lower edition can also work in this case ?or it can be done with one new server and leasing a license from the Qlikview live environment?

Thank you

Regards,

Himanshi Dubey

3 Replies
Albert_Candelario

Hi,

There is a really nice article on our Knowledgebase you can start with: https://support.qlik.com/articles/000047580

I also recommend you to search more in our Knwleadgebase, as there is a lot of useful information.

Is always advise to test a new version on a development environment. It could be a virtual environment, but you cannot use the same Server license in both environment, so you would need a new license for the new environment.

Kind regards
Please, remember to mark the thread as solved once getting the correct answer
Josh_Berg_Support

Himanshi,

This part stood out to me the most in your post:

"QlikView Server resource (CPU/RAM) utilization is very high. There is a need to upgrade the resources."

Are you upgrading to try to resolve the high resource usage issue or are you upgrading to take advantage of the many bug fixes and performance improvements since your version of Qlikview 11.20 was released?  I would recommend getting your current environment stable before upgrading.  It's possible that upgrading COULD resolve your high resource usage, but more likely you'll need to figure out what's causing the high resource usage.  Have you opened a case with Qlik Support?

Thanks,
Josh

Qlik Support

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

I just wanted to comment on the 'concurrency' statement regarding your Named and Document CALs, those do not have concurrency, so I am providing link below which covers the license agreement regarding Named and Doc CALs, so you can be sure you are not violating the use of those CALs.  Named and Doc CALs are to be 'permanently' assigned to a user until that user leaves the company or changes positions within the company no longer needing access to the product, any manipulation of the CALs to reassign users regularly is a violation of the product terms as per the document attached to the following link:

https://www.qlik.com/us/-/media/files/legal/license-agreements/qlikview/qlikview-license-metrics-en....

Each user needs to have their own Named or Doc CAL assigned to them....

Here is the part of the pdf from the link above I want to be sure you understand:

C. Identified Users
To use a Named User CAL or Document CAL, the user must be identified via an authenticated user name (Windows Active
Directory or through a ticket exchange between the web server and QlikView Server). The two methods of identification cannot be mixed on the same QlikView Server. An IP address is not a valid form of user identification. Note that the user name identification requires Windows authentication on AJAX clients, since machine name identification cannot be used for these clients.

Named and Document CALs are assigned to an identified user and may not be transferred to another user unless the transfer is due to a i) termination of employment, or ii) a transfer of the user to a new business unit or group resulting in no access to the Qlik Software. When a Named User or Document CAL is transferred, there is a 7-day quarantine before the CAL can be used by another user.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.