Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview full automated deployment

Hi All,

i have read a few posts mentioning silent installs of Qlikview but i wanted to know if it was possible to fully automate a server install including configuring settings within the qmc (e.g. folders)? via script or some type of package deployment. If for example, you were deploying to aws, you can deploy the servers and infrastructure automatically but it would be nice if once the server or servers were up then you could auto install qlikview on it.

it would be interesting to know if anyone has attempted something like this before or can advise on the best approach?

thanks in advance

4 Replies
jp_golay
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Interesting share if you find something

ebiexperts CTO
With WIP, Control everything!
Qlik Sense, QlikView and NPrinting Source control, Versioning and Deployment, Agile Lifecycle Management
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I didn't try it myself, so you may still be the first to attempt such a procedure. Which makes it more exciting...

The installation of the server software can be done automatically, and you'll end up with a not-so-interesting default set-up.

All (QMC) configuration settings are stored in xml files. The QMC (and QMS) are just a handy interface to manipulate settings in those files. So if you can prepare preconfigured configuration files, you can push them to your server after the default installation, start the QlikView services (or part of them like e.g. the QlikView Server) and your different set-up up will be picked up automatically. Note that the QlikView services will not start right away after the initial installation, only after a platform restart.

It's a different story for license assignments, which cannot be configured in this way. There is however an API that let's you manipulate license assignments, and there is also a PowerTool that can assign/revoke licenses. With some tweaking/scripting/programming, they can both be integrated in the automated installation process you are envisioning. But that part requires some more effort...

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter,

thanks for the insight...good points to know. The installation of the server seems pretty straight forward and your right its just the default setup. I was thinking to try create a script to edit the xml files after installation was done but i will need to open them up and take a closer look. The reason i wanted to do it like this is to make the script fetch the information such as server names if the setup was slip between a QV server and a publisher server then add that into the xml files...dunno, all ideas at the moment but i will definitely be trying this out.

umm interesting to know about the powertool for licensing, do you have the name of it?

Thanks